Mac virus Watch

carmel!
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey guys! Need some help here..as I'm really scare virus into my Mac although mostly heard that Mac won't get attacked easily but I have formatted my Mac once due to installing of Mac Cleaner.

Recently, the web of "your Mac is attacked by 3 virus" appeared again. I accidentally pressed *Once only on the bottom of (Scan it now) and immediately I did not do anything further. I closed the safari..thanks to a quick memory that it was a scam..

However, I have clicked once anddid not further click on..
No download sign of any software was seen...

So thats it mean..my Mac is safe?
Last edited by carmel!; 1 week ago
laurawatt
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Moved to the technology and computers forum
I hope you find the answer you want!
carmel!
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thank you!! laurawatt
(Original post by laurawatt)
Moved to the technology and computers forum
I hope you find the answer you want!
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by carmel!)
Hey guys! Need some help here..as I'm really scare virus into my Mac although mostly heard that Mac won't get attacked easily but I have formatted my Mac once due to installing of Mac Cleaner.
You're somewhat right. It's not so much that Macs won't get attacked easily, more than most malware targets Windows since it's more popular.

IDK what Mac Cleaner is, whether it's an Apple based utility or a third party piece of software. If it's third party, it's entirely possible Mac Cleaner contains malware itself. Or it's totally legit, I have no idea. As a result, I can't really say what effect formatting your Mac with Mac Cleaner will have.

Recently, the web of "your Mac is attacked by 3 virus" appeared again. I accidentally pressed *Once only on the bottom of (Scan it now) and immediately I did not do anything further. I closed the safari..thanks to a quick memory that it was a scam..
Can you clarify a bit more about how it appeared? Was this a website? Was it a popup on your desktop that opened Safari itself? Did you go to a dodgy website and get redirected to it? How exactly did this webpage appear, what were you doing at the time?

To be fair, intelligent malware wouldn't be telling you it was downloading. If you're not tech savvy, you may not necessarily know what the signs are. But equally, who knows if clicking the "scan now" button actually downloads anything to begin with. Can't draw any conclusions here without knowing how the scam works to begin with.

Who knows. Nobody can really give you an accurate answer. What you're effectively saying is "I clicked a dodgy button on a site, then immediately closed my browser. Do I have a virus?" and we can't possibly answer that. Ideally someone would want physical access to your machine to explore and see for themselves; it's much easier to look for suspicious activity than try and describe to someone what suspicious activity may look like.

All we can really say is make sure any important files are backed up, and keep an eye out for anything that looks odd. It's quite unlikely you're gotten a virus, but we can't know for sure. All you can do is make sure you have a solution just in case (file backups) and be vigilant. And not click on obviously dodgy links.
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There are tons of sites which will have fake pop ups saying stuff like this. Personally, just format and immediately install an anti-virus software and stay away from dodgy sites.
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Are these things just coming up in Safari? It sounds like you're just ending up on a website that looks suspicious, and it's not clear that you have anything dodgy on the computer though I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

For now, the first things you should do are make sure all your files are backed up, and install the latest macOS if you're not running it already.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.97%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.13%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.48%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.75%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.5%

Watched Threads