Prestige of unis/which uni ! Watch

road2nowhere
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi team !
I applied to Oxford (rejected), Glasgow (offer), Bristol (offer), Edinburgh (waiting), & Durham (waiting).
If I get an offer from Durham I will definitely put it as my firm choice, but as we're halfway through March I'm not feeling particularly optimistic. At all unis I applied for some permutation of History & Politics and my question is this: Provided I do not get an offer from Edinburgh or Durham (and even if I do, for my insurance) which uni is more highly regarded/prestigious, Glasgow or Bristol? I like both of them a fair amount and so this would really be the deciding factor (...although the free tuition at Glasgow doesn't hurt haha)
Thank you!
Afterlife?
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Apart from prestige imo the fact that you're from Scotland and have no fees at Glasgow is a huge bonus. If hypothetically Bristol was more prestigious and you hypothetically represented Prestige as a monetary value do you think it would be worth more than not having to pay the 30k debt plus interest over time to pay it off like English students have to?

I personally think you'd gain more by having your fees paid by Scottish government.
HistoryZara123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by road2nowhere)
Hi team !
I applied to Oxford (rejected), Glasgow (offer), Bristol (offer), Edinburgh (waiting), & Durham (waiting).
If I get an offer from Durham I will definitely put it as my firm choice, but as we're halfway through March I'm not feeling particularly optimistic. At all unis I applied for some permutation of History & Politics and my question is this: Provided I do not get an offer from Edinburgh or Durham (and even if I do, for my insurance) which uni is more highly regarded/prestigious, Glasgow or Bristol? I like both of them a fair amount and so this would really be the deciding factor (...although the free tuition at Glasgow doesn't hurt haha)
Thank you!
Hi! For many subjects Durham offers are not out or only just going through. I’d personally go for Durham over Glasgow but I do see the appeal of no fees
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
road2nowhere
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
If there was a big difference in how my degree were to be perceived then yes I would value prestige more, as I am hoping to go into academia in the long term and worry that not having a 'good' undergraduate degree would severely harm my career prospects !
(Original post by Afterlife?)
Apart from prestige imo the fact that you're from Scotland and have no fees at Glasgow is a huge bonus. If hypothetically Bristol was more prestigious and you hypothetically represented Prestige as a monetary value do you think it would be worth more than not having to pay the 30k debt plus interest over time to pay it off like English students have to?

I personally think you'd gain more by having your fees paid by Scottish government.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (152)
18.74%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (80)
9.86%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (138)
17.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (115)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.46%

Watched Threads