English PGCE or English & Media PGCE??? Which on?? Watch

Candy369
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hi everyone, firstly sorry for the typo in the title, it won't allow me to change it!

So I've been considering doing my teacher training for a while and I also have considerable classroom experience under my belt. I have a BA and MA in Film and Media Studies, however, I'm at the stage of my life where I want a stable, reasonable job and so venturing into the media industry is simply not an option at this moment in time for me.

I know that gaining QTS (qualified teacher status) allows you to teach more or less anything, but despite this, I do want to apply my previous degrees to my future job, and so what I need help with is what is better for me to study, in the grand scheme of things:

1.) A PGCE in English or,
2.) a PGCE in English and Media?

I am relatively new to the ins and outs of teacher training, but I would like some more insight into,

a.) Am I a more flexible, employable teacher with a combined PGCE such as English and media?
b.) If I study English alone, will my BA and MA still carry weight if I go for specifically, media positions? (i.e. is it necessary to study a combined degree if I already have 2 degrees relating to the subject itself)?
c.) What else, bar the course and course provider, do I need to consider, in order to leave the course as prepared as I can for teaching, i.e. does the Uni's reputation really matter or...?

There are plenty of English PGCE courses, but not so many combined courses...I think I found maybe three and London Met was one of them, and from what I've heard, it's far from being the most reputable uni in the UK. I don't see myself utilising the flexibility of having QTS, but I do want to teach media or film in the long run, and potentially english overseas if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any help you think will be beneficial for me in making my decision. I really welcome any advice or suggestions, because as I've said, I'm no expert in teacher training!
Last edited by Candy369; 5 days ago
Merryiell
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Personally I would go with English with Media as what have you got to loose if you do both? Whereas obviously just English is...JUST English. I think you'd find you would be more employable with both as media seems to be dying out in schools unfortunately. I am also wanting to do Media Studies with English as I am in third year studying TV & Film. Media Studies is so rare and hardly anywhere does it (In London). So I'm considering maybe just doing English but there is a fine line where my course really fits in with English and therefore if I could even apply due to not having a proper English qualification, except my GCSE. It's so difficult. Sorry rant over. Hope my advice helped a bit
Candy369
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Hi Merryiell, thanks for your response to my query. I really wanted to do media and english together but as you said, it is very rare and I'm struggling to find good course providers that have the combined course I was advised to do english from other people because I already have 2 degrees in film/media and so having a good PGCE combined with that, will put me in a good place for future employment. But I still wasn't convinced because I'm not totally passionate about doing english alone Good luck with whatever you choose to do x
(Original post by Merryiell)
Personally I would go with English with Media as what have you got to loose if you do both? Whereas obviously just English is...JUST English. I think you'd find you would be more employable with both as media seems to be dying out in schools unfortunately. I am also wanting to do Media Studies with English as I am in third year studying TV & Film. Media Studies is so rare and hardly anywhere does it (In London). So I'm considering maybe just doing English but there is a fine line where my course really fits in with English and therefore if I could even apply due to not having a proper English qualification, except my GCSE. It's so difficult. Sorry rant over. Hope my advice helped a bit
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (73)
15.77%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (47)
10.15%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (88)
19.01%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (65)
14.04%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (49)
10.58%
How can I be the best version of myself? (141)
30.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed