Japan Vs China Watch

EdwardF1999
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have a very confusing choice i plan on making for studying abroad. To be more precise it is osaka vs hong kong, if it was purly on which culture i like the most then i would pick japan as i've wanted to go their since i was 14 years old. The problem is that if i went to osaka then the university i would go to is around top 50 only in japan but if i went to hong kong then i can go to a university that is top 50 in the world. I do like hong kong but not as much as japan. i need help because i dont know which road to take.
coco0
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you like Japan more you should go there, discard the reputations if being in Japan would make you happier.
EdwardF1999
Rep:
?
(Original post by coco0)
If you like Japan more you should go there, discard the reputations if being in Japan would make you happier.
that's true but i also feel like it would be a waste to throw the oppurtunity to away as i could go to japan another time. This abroad trip would be 1 year and wouldn't it be better for my CV and stuff if i went to hong kong's one?
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
China is a vile country and I would rather stay away from it, even in Hong Kong, a 'liberal' area we betrayed by handing them over to the Chinese. Japan is a far more agreeable country and I would probably suggest going there on principal alone.
Helloworld_95
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I wouldn't worry about the "name brand" of the university you go to, it doesn't make too much difference for your study abroad.

Hong Kong is a very exciting city, as a young guy you will absolutely love it there. It also has the bonus of being very accessible to English speakers with lots of Western amenities, particularly British ones. It's one of maybe 3 cities in the East and South East Asia region with very good travel links and so you can travel around nearly as easily and cheaply as in Europe, the other two being Singapore and KL which are the hubs for Air Asia and Scoot.

The downside is that Hong Kong can be really expensive, however assuming you are staying in university accommodation the price isn't too bad and your overall costs (excluding travel) probably won't be any higher than if you lived in the UK

Osaka is calmer but you won't have the language safety net. It will almost certainly be cheaper overall, again excluding travel. If you want to travel around then expect to pay about 50-100% more for flights unless you're travelling to Korea or Northern China, and even then don't expect a discount as much as the reduced distance would suggest, not to mention likely higher visa costs for visiting China from Japan.

Hong Kong and Japan each have their own political and culture problems, as you're only staying for a year I wouldn't take too much note of them, they will affect you minimally, though perhaps more so in Japan, but still something you can ignore for a year if you put your mind to it.

Basically I would ask yourself how much money you have to spend. If you can take full advantage of the opportunities that HK offers then it will blow Japan out of the water, partly because you could happily spend 2-3 weeks in the holidays just exploring Japan, which won't end up being that much more expensive than doing the same thing from Osaka, might even be cheaper if you plan it correctly. If you really won't have much money to travel or don't want to go outside your destination country then go to Japan, you'll regret not going to Japan if you don't and so have to delay your plans to go.
EdwardF1999
Rep:
?
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
I wouldn't worry about the "name brand" of the university you go to, it doesn't make too much difference for your study abroad.

Hong Kong is a very exciting city, as a young guy you will absolutely love it there. It also has the bonus of being very accessible to English speakers with lots of Western amenities, particularly British ones. It's one of maybe 3 cities in the East and South East Asia region with very good travel links and so you can travel around nearly as easily and cheaply as in Europe, the other two being Singapore and KL which are the hubs for Air Asia and Scoot.

The downside is that Hong Kong can be really expensive, however assuming you are staying in university accommodation the price isn't too bad and your overall costs (excluding travel) probably won't be any higher than if you lived in the UK

Osaka is calmer but you won't have the language safety net. It will almost certainly be cheaper overall, again excluding travel. If you want to travel around then expect to pay about 50-100% more for flights unless you're travelling to Korea or Northern China, and even then don't expect a discount as much as the reduced distance would suggest, not to mention likely higher visa costs for visiting China from Japan.

Hong Kong and Japan each have their own political and culture problems, as you're only staying for a year I wouldn't take too much note of them, they will affect you minimally, though perhaps more so in Japan, but still something you can ignore for a year if you put your mind to it.

Basically I would ask yourself how much money you have to spend. If you can take full advantage of the opportunities that HK offers then it will blow Japan out of the water, partly because you could happily spend 2-3 weeks in the holidays just exploring Japan, which won't end up being that much more expensive than doing the same thing from Osaka, might even be cheaper if you plan it correctly. If you really won't have much money to travel or don't want to go outside your destination country then go to Japan, you'll regret not going to Japan if you don't and so have to delay your plans to go.
Thank you for your help, very helpful. If the university choice does not affect in a good way or bad way that much then i might lean towards japan. Also you said osaka is cheaper so that goes well with me as I am someone who always hates spending money when i dont have to haha.
coco0
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by EdwardF1999)
that's true but i also feel like it would be a waste to throw the oppurtunity to away as i could go to japan another time. This abroad trip would be 1 year and wouldn't it be better for my CV and stuff if i went to hong kong's one?
I think employers would be impressed that you spent a year aboard no matter which one you decided to choose
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.58%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.68%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.27%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (93)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.89%
How can I be the best version of myself? (191)
29.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed