FP3: ellipse Watch

Maths&physics
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
so,

I'm at the point attached, but that looks nothing like the answer.

that's meant to be -3sin(theta)
Last edited by Maths&physics; 1 week ago
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Post your working. (And if you can't use LaTeX, take a photo of your writing and post that. The near illegible scrawls you've been posting are insufficient).
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
(Original post by DFranklin)
Post your working. (And if you can't use LaTeX, take a photo of your writing and post that. The near illegible scrawls you've been posting are insufficient).
can you see this?
Attached files
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You've used the formula for the volume of revolution, not the surface area.

I find myself repeatedly having to ask this, but have you actually read the material for the topic you're trying to answer questions on?
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
You've used the formula for the volume of revolution, not the surface area.

I find myself repeatedly having to ask this, but have you actually read the material for the topic you're trying to answer questions on?
I have but it's been a while. I will go back and watch the tutorials again. thank you for help and please, I'm open to constructive criticism if it will help me.
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Maths&physics)
I have but it's been a while. I will go back and watch the tutorials again. thank you for help and please, I'm open to constructive criticism if it will help me.
The thing is, you can't sensibly attempt answer questions if you don't understand the material. You're answering a FP3 problem, and the formulas you need to use are described in the FP3 syllabus. Instead you've used a C4 formula that totally doesn't apply to the question. It's hard to say anything constructive when I honestly think this mistake is impossible to make if you've spent more than 5 minutes looking at the topic in the FP3 syllabus. (That is, I can see someone doing FP3 might struggle to know which FP3 formula to use, or how to evaluate the resulting integral etc., but the whole topic is about "extensions beyond the C4 formula", so I feel it's hard to know the first thing about the topic and make the mistake of using a C4 formula).

So my constructive advice would be to revise the topics before you try to answer questions on them.
Maths&physics
Rep:
?

So my constructive advice would be to revise the topics before you try to answer questions on them.
That's what I will be doing. thank you. I have looked at the topic and I now have the formulas.
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
The thing is, you can't sensibly attempt answer questions if you don't understand the material. You're answering a FP3 problem, and the formulas you need to use are described in the FP3 syllabus. Instead you've used a C4 formula that totally doesn't apply to the question. It's hard to say anything constructive when I honestly think this mistake is impossible to make if you've spent more than 5 minutes looking at the topic in the FP3 syllabus. (That is, I can see someone doing FP3 might struggle to know which FP3 formula to use, or how to evaluate the resulting integral etc., but the whole topic is about "extensions beyond the C4 formula", so I feel it's hard to know the first thing about the topic and make the mistake of using a C4 formula).

so, for the equation of the surface area, we sub y into the equation. but in M3, with the solid of revolution, we multiple the equation by y (or x). why does this difference exist?
RDKGames
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
so, for the equation of the surface area, we sub y into the equation. but in M3, with the solid of revolution, we multiple the equation by y (or x). why does this difference exist?
In M3 you are finding the CENTRE OF MASS, are you not??

Here you are finding only the volume/surface of recolution... which is obviously different from the COM ! Hence the difference..

Bit surprised you asked this tbh. The obvious answer is that there is a difference because these formulae describe different things.
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
In M3 you are finding the CENTRE OF MASS, are you not??

Here you are finding only the volume/surface of recolution... which is obviously different from the COM ! Hence the difference..

Bit surprised you asked this tbh. The obvious answer is that there is a difference because these formulae describe different things.
what is the logic behind substituting the y value into this equation and multiplying the equation by y in the COM equation?
Gent2324
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
When are you taking your exam? Sounds like You’re talking about the old further maths spec that ended last year, unless you are retaking it?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gent2324)
When are you taking your exam? Sounds like You’re talking about the old further maths spec that ended last year, unless you are retaking it?
this is the old spec.
Gent2324
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
this is the old spec.
are you retaking the exam then?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gent2324)
are you retaking the exam then?
pretty much, it's a long story.
RDKGames
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
what is the logic behind substituting the y value into this equation and multiplying the equation by y in the COM equation?
Where the equations come from should be explained in the theory in your textbook.

Otherwise, seek those explanations online. Diagrams are useful for these explanation so it's best you try and find them off this site.
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
Where the equations come from should be explained in the theory in your textbook.

Otherwise, seek those explanations online. Diagrams are useful for these explanation so it's best you try and find them off this site.
ok, thanks.
Last edited by Maths&physics; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.83%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.72%

Watched Threads