Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Content deleted.
Last edited by edwithmj; 4 days ago
Izzythestudent
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
WOW that sounds terrible! I can’t imagine being treated this way, I’m so sorry! It sounds like you are a bit stuck tbh, you may have to wait out for the 6 weeks. Alternatively you could try asking someone else at the school for a reference, or send her a very curt or polite email asking for one? Or give her a call? Try to make it inescapable for her lol. God, what a ***** :0 best of luck!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
edwithmj
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Content deleted.
Last edited by edwithmj; 4 days ago
bwilliams
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
This sounds terrible practice on your mentor's part. Do you have a tutor that has visited you in school? E.g. link tutor, personal tutor etc. You should have reported this to them at the time and they should have stepped in. However, if they have observed you, they can write a reference for you.

What's all this 6 weeks business about? You are not an employee, you are a student teacher.
bwilliams
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by edwithmj)
I'm going to wait until Easter to apply for jobs I think. I want to concentrate on improving my practice anyway.

The anecdotes I gave are the tip of the iceberg: I have many more examples of her bullying but it was just to give a background to the situation. I'll give you one more: many times, she would go through my lesson plans with a red pen: circling things that she believed needed changing. She would accuse me of being a 'perfectionist' yet would have me often altering plans up to three times and then wonder why I would fall behind with the planning. Even worse, she would do it sat down in the staffroom in front of the other teachers and support staff, while I stood over her like a naughty child getting his homework marked. It was quite humiliating for me.
Just read this, what on earth is this person doing? You should have definitely reported this to your ITE provider. If you haven't, please do as someone else may fall into this trap of a placement. We are supposed to be encouraging the next generation of teachers, not bullying them. So sorry you have experienced this. All I can say is, if that hasn't put you off, keep doing what you are doing!
SarcAndSpark
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
This does sound like really poor practice on your mentor's part. You definitely should have brought some of these issues up with your uni as they were happening. However, I would say that something like wanting 24 hours notice for observation forms isn't unfair- perhaps there was a bit of poor communication on both sides? In your second placement I'd definitely check in advance as to how your mentor wants these things handled!

HOWEVER, it's standard when applying for NQT roles to use your second placement school and your university tutor as references- so long term, this shouldn't hold you back. It doesn't sound like she'd give you a good reference anyway,
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (73)
15.77%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (47)
10.15%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (88)
19.01%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (65)
14.04%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (49)
10.58%
How can I be the best version of myself? (141)
30.45%

Watched Threads