Nursing placement fail Watch

Timidgirl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi I'm a second year nursing student I'm suppose to finish my placement next week however my midway interview was only done this week as I have been on spoke placement and my mentor had been on leave, my feedback came as a surprise she said I had high standard of patient care however didn't feel I was working as part of the team and some staff stated I came across as a bit abrupt at times this took me by surprise as I didn't have any inkling that people felt that way, whilst I was on spoke my mentor contacted the uni to inform them and I've been told I am to do a action plan however the uni are concerned that as I only have 3 shifts left it is not enough time to improve my professional attitude score, has anyone else been in this situation please? What outcome should I expect? I've apologised that I have come across that way and I hadn't realised, I thought I was doing okay I've said I want it turn this negative feedback into a positive and want to learn from it however I really don't want to fail.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Timidgirl)
Hi I'm a second year nursing student I'm suppose to finish my placement next week however my midway interview was only done this week as I have been on spoke placement and my mentor had been on leave, my feedback came as a surprise she said I had high standard of patient care however didn't feel I was working as part of the team and some staff stated I came across as a bit abrupt at times this took me by surprise as I didn't have any inkling that people felt that way, whilst I was on spoke my mentor contacted the uni to inform them and I've been told I am to do a action plan however the uni are concerned that as I only have 3 shifts left it is not enough time to improve my professional attitude score, has anyone else been in this situation please? What outcome should I expect? I've apologised that I have come across that way and I hadn't realised, I thought I was doing okay I've said I want it turn this negative feedback into a positive and want to learn from it however I really don't want to fail.
is there any chance you can go in and do extra hours over the holidays to make up for it.
Its not your fault your review was late and it makes it unfair for the reasons you stated. If they do fail you, then make a complaint.

Ask advice on examples of abruptness and then the action plan needs to be agreed so you exhibit the preferred behaviour. Listen to other people and be patient. Soften the way you communicate and get them onboard.
moonkatt
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Were you aware they had issues with your attitude and communication prior to this meeting?
Were you aware they had contacted your university?
When was the action plan made?

If this is all new information that was only shared with you with three shifts before the end of your placement, then they shouldn’t be able to fail you, as you’ve not been given ample warning of failing or opportunity to implement the action plan. Failing a placement shouldn’t come as a surprise.

I can only echo what tigger has already said about communicating with people. It may be worth finding examples of when people feel you’ve been abrupt and reflecting over it.
Timidgirl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi no I was not aware that was an issue and I was only made aware if this and that the university was contacted on Sunday,my tutor has given my mentor the action plan which I haven't seen yet I'm there on Monday and my link tutor is coming to see us both and I'm suppose to be finishing on Wednesday...I'm going o9n on Sunday to try and get in a extra shift and my tutor has told me to ask to see the action plan then so I can be prepared on Monday for the meeting I've no idea what to expect, however my tutor has praised me for my positive attitude in attempting to turn this around, I'm feeling really stressed about it
(Original post by moonkatt)
Were you aware they had issues with your attitude and communication prior to this meeting?
Were you aware they had contacted your university?
When was the action plan made?

If this is all new information that was only shared with you with three shifts before the end of your placement, then they shouldn’t be able to fail you, as you’ve not been given ample warning of failing or opportunity to implement the action plan. Failing a placement shouldn’t come as a surprise.

I can only echo what tigger has already said about communicating with people. It may be worth finding examples of when people feel you’ve been abrupt and reflecting over it.
moonkatt
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Timidgirl)
Hi no I was not aware that was an issue and I was only made aware if this and that the university was contacted on Sunday,my tutor has given my mentor the action plan which I haven't seen yet I'm there on Monday and my link tutor is coming to see us both and I'm suppose to be finishing on Wednesday...I'm going o9n on Sunday to try and get in a extra shift and my tutor has told me to ask to see the action plan then so I can be prepared on Monday for the meeting I've no idea what to expect, however my tutor has praised me for my positive attitude in attempting to turn this around, I'm feeling really stressed about it
Well done for working hard at turning things around. It’s good you’ve spoken to your tutor already and that you’ll be seeing the link tutor as well. You should make a point in your meeting on Monday that you were not made aware of any issues until very recently and that you haven’t seen your action plan (which tbh should have been made with you present).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.94%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.15%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (124)
17.25%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed