I look older than my age Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I am 22 but guys say I look older than my age. Is this an insult? I do dress pretty grown up but I have to look smart for work. I wear makeup but only so that it's obvious that I am wearing it- nothing clown-like or drag. I usually wear a cat-eye as it suits my eye shape.

If this is meant as an insult, how do I look more my age? I'm confused because I do get quite a lot of attention from men of all ages but they always seem surprised when I tell them I'm 22
yzanne
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am 22 but guys say I look older than my age. Is this an insult? I do dress pretty grown up but I have to look smart for work. I wear makeup but only so that it's obvious that I am wearing it- nothing clown-like or drag. I usually wear a cat-eye as it suits my eye shape.

If this is meant as an insult, how do I look more my age? I'm confused because I do get quite a lot of attention from men of all ages but they always seem surprised when I tell them I'm 22
I wouldn't say so - I would see it as fine especially as you are still young.

If you were 50 I'm sure you would feel differently about it!
hallamstudents
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

Maybe it comes as a shock because you act older than you are- t's definitely a good thing to act mature and be wise beyond your years! I wouldn't worry about it, I don't think it was meant as an insult.

Lucy
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Thanks, I've been told that I act older too- but I get told I look older than my age in social media pictures, by people that otherwise don't know me well
(Original post by hallamstudents)
Maybe it comes as a shock because you act older than you are- t's definitely a good thing to act mature and be wise beyond your years! I wouldn't worry about it, I don't think it was meant as an insult.

Lucy
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

If so many people have said it unsolicited then chances are you do look older than your age. I doubt they are trying to insult you. Probably just shocked/surprised.

I get it too, but people saying I look much younger...
Anonymous #2
Report 5 days ago
hun ofc I would feel offended. I'm 21 if someone came up to me and told me I look 35 im sorry but that would just put me in a bad mood

if they are talking in the sense that your mature for your age then yeah thats fine but if it because you have wrinkles or whatever then you really need to start wearing some sunscreen lol
fish finger fan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
People often think that I look older than I actually am, for example when I was in year 7, I was mistaken for being year 11. Even now, people think that I look older than my age, but people who know me well, say that I act younger than my age. As I find childish things funny, and have a maturity of a 6 year old, but I do know when to control it, and act my age. (e.g trying to not laugh when someone burps).

Overall, I don't mind what people think of me, as I am myself. Be yourself. (sorry, that sounds really tacky)
Anonymous #1
That's true. It's really strange though because I don't have wrinkles (lol!), but could it be the editing of my pictures? I tend to post black and white pictures mostly...
(Original post by fish finger fan)
People often think that I look older than I actually am, for example when I was in year 7, I was mistaken for being year 11. Even now, people think that I look older than my age, but people who know me well, say that I act younger than my age. As I find childish things funny, and have a maturity of a 6 year old, but I do know when to control it, and act my age. (e.g trying to not laugh when someone burps).

Overall, I don't mind what people think of me, as I am myself. Be yourself. (sorry, that sounds really tacky)
Anonymous #1
Most people think I'm in the mid-twenties range, but it's still annoying. I wear sunscreen daily and I'm olive-skinned (Mediterranean) so I have a healthy diet. Oh well, I guess it is what it is.
hun ofc I would feel offended. I'm 21 if someone came up to me and told me I look 35 im sorry but that would just put me in a bad mood

if they are talking in the sense that your mature for your age then yeah thats fine but if it because you have wrinkles or whatever then you really need to start wearing some sunscreen lol
Anonymous #1
It's not always unsolicited- it sometimes arises during conversation.

...what's your secret?
(Original post by ANM775)
If so many people have said it unsolicited then chances are you do look older than your age. I doubt they are trying to insult you. Probably just shocked/surprised.

I get it too, but people saying I look much younger...
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It's not always unsolicited- it sometimes arises during conversation.

...what's your secret?

I've been asked that question before by a woman ..lol
another one asked me if I sleep in a fridge

I honestly don't have a secret, I think it's perhaps just down to genes how fast you age. I rarely drink alcohol and I probably eat less processed food than your average Britain, but if i'm honest I'm not convinced that is the reason why I look younger. I think some people just naturally age faster [or slower] than others..
hallamstudents
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Thanks, I've been told that I act older too- but I get told I look older than my age in social media pictures, by people that otherwise don't know me well
I wouldn't worry about it, however if people are commenting on your pictures and it's getting you down then you could turn off commenting/ remove certain words from comments (depending on the platform). That might take it off your mind and make you feel more confident.

Lucy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads