The Student Room Group

Refused Renewal by MoreThan - What to do?

Hi all,

MoreThan recently refused to renew my insurance. I understand that insurers ask generally if I've had insurance declined or cancelled. The letter I received from them about refusing to renew gave no implication that I had to declare that they had refused to renew my insurance, instead stating that it was "due to changes in your policy," and their website terms and conditions only state I must declare it if they cancel my insurance. On top of this, the term 'declined' is completely ambiguous, don't insurance companies decline insurance to you constantly, simply because you're 17?
Obviously declaring vs. not declaring this is going to have an enormous impact on my premiums - do I need to declare this? Will my next insurers even know? Shall I call them the new insurers (before getting the insurance) and tell them specifically what has happened?
Cheers
Reply 1
Original post by TheParrot
Hi all,

MoreThan recently refused to renew my insurance. I understand that insurers ask generally if I've had insurance declined or cancelled. The letter I received from them about refusing to renew gave no implication that I had to declare that they had refused to renew my insurance, instead stating that it was "due to changes in your policy," and their website terms and conditions only state I must declare it if they cancel my insurance. On top of this, the term 'declined' is completely ambiguous, don't insurance companies decline insurance to you constantly, simply because you're 17?
Obviously declaring vs. not declaring this is going to have an enormous impact on my premiums - do I need to declare this? Will my next insurers even know? Shall I call them the new insurers (before getting the insurance) and tell them specifically what has happened?
Cheers

Why did they refuse to cover you? I would consider that being declined, but it's worth asking your prospective insurer of their opinion to be on the safe side.
Depends on context, for yours specifically it is refusal to renew; which is on the same scope as refusal to get an insurance quote - bearing in mind over 110 insurance companies won't cover me and are thus - refusing to quote, and there's probably at least 5 that don't cover Tom for example as criteria is pretty specific. It's a non issue. Rejected insurance in terms of having a claim turned down is a different scenario entirely.
Reply 3
Original post by nevershear
Depends on context, for yours specifically it is refusal to renew; which is on the same scope as refusal to get an insurance quote - bearing in mind over 110 insurance companies won't cover me and are thus - refusing to quote, and there's probably at least 5 that don't cover Tom for example as criteria is pretty specific. It's a non issue. Rejected insurance in terms of having a claim turned down is a different scenario entirely.

Original post by IWMTom
Why did they refuse to cover you? I would consider that being declined, but it's worth asking your prospective insurer of their opinion to be on the safe side.

From the way I understand it, I had too many speeding warnings for them to be happy to safely insure me, but I never actually requested a renewal and planned to leave them anyway. Frankly, the way they went about it was confusing, to say the least. The letter, of which I was sent two of alongside my NCB, reads "As a result of a change in your policy status, we've had to withdraw the offer for renewal of your MORE TH>N SMART WHEELS car insurance." Then it just explains that not being insured is an offence under the road traffic act.

If they have made note of this on the CUE database, they've gone about informing me in a horrendous manner, given that nothing on their site's 'policy wording' makes any mention of the consequences of renewal, while it makes every mention regarding cancellation. I will probably call them later today. :s-smilie:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by TheParrot
From the way I understand it, I had too many speeding warnings for them to be happy to safely insure me, but I never actually requested a renewal and planned to leave them anyway. Frankly, the way they went about it was confusing, to say the least. The letter, of which I was sent two of alongside my NCB, reads "As a result of a change in your policy status, we've had to withdraw the offer for renewal of your MORE TH>N SMART WHEELS car insurance." Then it just explains that not being insured is an offence under the road traffic act.

If they have made note of this on the CUE database, they've gone about informing me in a horrendous manner, given that nothing on their site's 'policy wording' makes any mention of the consequences of renewal, while it makes every mention regarding cancellation. I will probably call them later today. :s-smilie:

It's not them that you need to contact, it's your prospective insurers to get their opinion.

Thinking about it, they've declined to quote you, not declined to insure you - I agree with @nevershear on this one.
Original post by IWMTom
It's not them that you need to contact, it's your prospective insurers to get their opinion.

Thinking about it, they've declined to quote you, not declined to insure you - I agree with @nevershear on this one.

Is that a good thing. Didnt fully understand what @nevershear said. (Maybe because i am stoned)
Reply 6
Original post by Mosinwywyeye
Is that a good thing. Didnt fully understand what @nevershear said. (Maybe because i am stoned)

Probably.
Reply 7
Just as an update, I called InsureTheBox and they said they didn't mind so long as my insurance wasn't cancelled. Also got a really good price with them! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest