New Zealand mosque shootings kill 50 Watch

Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Pinkisk)
I'm not sure if he is Australian. Australia doesn't give citizenship to people born in Australia unless they have an Australian parent or one of their parents is a permanent resident. He might have been given citizenship if one of his parents has a permanent residence status. He might also hold dual citizenship. I mean, he looks very, very English. It would be interesting to know how this turns out.
"Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison described one alleged gunman, who had Australian citizenship, as an "extremist, right-wing" terrorist."
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Doones)
"Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison described one alleged gunman, who had Australian citizenship, as an "extremist, right-wing" terrorist."
I wonder if they were keeping tabs on him. The security forces need to monitor these people just as acutely as they do Islamist Jihadis, as we can see.
alevelshelpit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
But it's not an airy academic debate carried out in neutral, balanced tones. The social media Islamo-wars are about as poisonous and hate-filled as you can get, if you like that sort of thing enough to regularly check them out. It's a bit of a pretense to claim that 'criticism of Islam' exists in some kind of bubble separate to chronic Islamophobia and Muslim-hate.
im sorry i don't agree with prophet muhammad consummating his marriage with a 9 year old. if my criticism of islam makes me a terrorist sympathiser then i really don't know.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by alevelshelpit)
im sorry i don't agree with prophet muhammad consummating his marriage with a 9 year old. if my criticism of islam makes me a terrorist sympathiser then i really don't know.
I'm not saying it does, but you are playing the same game as the far right hate-mongers by picking things out of an early medieval religious and social landscape and using them to smear. Not many modern Muslims would advocate such things, although no doubt some still do.
Pinkisk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Doones)
Is he referring to the one we are chatting about here? I think there were two or three of them doing shootings at different mosques all at the same time.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm curious as to what the people who think we should give the far right a platform feel about this, especially those who are so deluded they believe in white genocide.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Is he referring to the one we are chatting about here? I think there were two or three of them doing shootings at different mosques all at the same time.
If he was on some kind of watch list, the NZ authorities will doubtless be investigating how he made it into their country.
Doones
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
He's referring to the only one any details have so far been given about.
Pinkisk
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My take on Pewdiepie is he's been more notorious for his anti-Jewishness than for his Islamophobia, but I don't follow him closely (I can only take so much unpleasantness in my life) so maybe I'm out of touch.

There's a dotted line between the regular drizzle (sometimes a blizzard) of anti-Muslim rhetoric in the right wing media and the activities of the Far Right. They aren't in precise lock step, but one helps foster the other.
I agree.
Underscore__
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
I'm curious as to what the people who think we should give the far right a platform feel about this, especially those who are so deluded they believe in white genocide.
It’s incredibly naive to think that if Richard Spencer (or any other far right personality) wasn’t allowed to speak publicly, this wouldn’t happen.
Last edited by Underscore__; 1 week ago
alevelshelpit
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm not saying it does, but you are playing the same game as the far right hate-mongers by picking things out of an early medieval religious and social landscape and using them to smear. Not many modern Muslims would advocate such things, although no doubt some still do.
but this is what they believe. prophet Muhammad is an e.g of all time and many muslims understand and agree with his actions. am i not allowed to express my concerns over this?
"not many modern muslims would advocate such things" i don't think you quite understand islam. to reject such a thing by the founder of islam is basically treason in the eyes of sharia.
Pinkisk
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If he was on some kind of watch list, the NZ authorities will doubtless be investigating how he made it into their country.
People might not agree with me on this but his immigration status will never come into question because he's white. I should think that this factor also played a significant role in him and his accomplices being off the radar.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by alevelshelpit)
but this is what they believe. prophet Muhammad is an e.g of all time and many muslims understand and agree with his actions. am i not allowed to express my concerns over this?
"not many modern muslims would advocate such things" i don't think you quite understand islam. to reject such a thing by the founder of islam is basically treason in the eyes of sharia.
Isn't there another principle in Islam that talks about obeying all the laws of the country? I don't think you'll find a lot of modern, younger Muslims who think it's objectively right to marry a girl off at 9 to a middle aged man. You are confusing abstract religious purism with day to day realities. Catholicism is similar - it has numerous bizarre rules that nearly all modern Catholics ignore.
Pinkisk
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Simbasoul)
Oh well, if he looks very, very English then of course he must be....English?!!

Whatever his citizenship, he was born and raised in Australia and has committed a crime of such a vile magnitude on New Zealnad soil. Does it really matter what nationality he is? Can we not just all agree that he is obviously a terrorist and a murdering coward?
His identity and nationalism played a significant role in motivating his terrorist act. I think it matters a lot to know his identity. It matters because it helps shed light on how he came to be this way. His surroundings, his family life, his nationality, no doubt played a significant role in his radicalisation.
Last edited by Pinkisk; 1 week ago
pellets
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Have you seen the video? I'm not going to watch something like that. Its beyond disturbing and disgusting that someone would film something like that and post it online. I find it deplorable that people would be comfortable watching a person shooting children in the head.
Why?

Just because you can watch something it doesn't mean you agree with it happening. Curiosity gets the better of some people.
alevelshelpit
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Isn't there another principle in Islam that talks about obeying all the laws of the country? I don't think you'll find a lot of modern, younger Muslims who think it's objectively right to marry a girl off at 9 to a middle aged man. You are confusing abstract religious purism with day to day realities. Catholicism is similar - it has numerous bizarre rules that nearly all modern Catholics ignore.
im sorry have you studied the quran? my family is muslim and my dad is an imam so im not speaking from nowhere.

yes thats right you must obey the laws of the land you live on but they still agree with the prophets marriage to a 6 year old. their reason is that its justified because girls matured earlier (which isn't true) but they believe in this. there are many other things such as wife beating as a last resort (as long as the conditions are met), not allowing homosexuals and horrible sexist language used against women (describing them as intellectually deficient). of course all things must be read within context.

ok so i will just keep my mouth shut and not criticise any of the above.
Captain Haddock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Worth noting Trump's bizarre response to this tragedy was to post a link to Breitbart - no particular article, just the website - which is currently buzzing with comments defending or sympathising with the shooter. The President of the United States is promoting this ****. I despair.
quasa
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
1 of the more interesting pieces of news is that the Bangladesh Cricket team, who were in Christchurch as they had a test series against New Zealand, were at 1 of the mosques the shooting happened (and have obviously cancelled the series against NZ. no news if any of the players were injured).

As a sports fan, they should postpone the IPL this year to allow the Bangladeshi and NZ players to recover from this experience (the competition starts in 2 weeks).
Last edited by quasa; 1 week ago
Decahedron
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by quasa)
Would you liketo be reminded of a horrific event everytime you do something that brings you joy? I dont
It doesn't bother me, I Don't Like Mondays is a great song even though that is quite literally about a real school shooting.
MrDystopia
  • Section Leader
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Captain Haddock)
Worth noting Trump's bizarre response to this tragedy was to post a link to Breitbart - no particular article, just the website - which is currently buzzing with comments defending or sympathising with the shooter. The President of the United States is promoting this ****. I despair.
From what I've read, the perpetrator made reference to conspiracy theories often peddled by the likes of Breitbart. Trump really is disgusting.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (128)
17.9%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.21%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.2%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (103)
14.41%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.79%
How can I be the best version of myself? (218)
30.49%

Watched Threads