International worried about best uni for a job Watch

crackedwall01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
offers: University of Kent, Glasgow Uni, RHUL
course: Comparative literature

I’m an international and I talked to someone from London, they said that I won’t have a good career prospect because most of my choices are low ranked and out of London. Is this true? I’m really worried so I’m thinking about going to clearing for Leeds? And it seems difficult.

Any advice would be great, I have heard people say that internationals should not bother going to low ranked uni’s or uni's out of london for a job.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by crackedwall01)

I’m an international and I talked to someone from London, they said that I won’t have a good career prospect because most of my choices are low ranked and out of London. Is this true? I’m really worried so I’m thinking about going to clearing for Leeds? And it seems difficult.

Any advice would be great, I have heard people say that internationals should not bother going to low ranked uni’s or uni's out of london for a job.
Are you non EU?
Do you have any special skills/ experience?

Not sure why you think a degree in Comparative Literature is going to give you an advantage when seeking employment over home students? I dont think being out of London is an issue.

Btw is this for a job in your home country or in the UK?
Last edited by 999tigger; 5 days ago
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

Nothing wrong with Glasgow or RHUL. Both excellent universities
crackedwall01
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Are you non EU?
Do you have any special skills/ experience?

Not sure why you think a degree in Comparative Literature is going to give you an advantage when seeking employment over home students? I dont think being out of London is an issue.

Btw is this for a job in your home country or in the UK?
I’m non eu. This is for a job in UK. I don’t have any special skills.

Comparative Literature is the only course I want to do uni. i thought for some industries which degree you do doesn’t matter as long as you have the networks like - media & communications, advertising.
crackedwall01
Rep:
?
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
Nothing wrong with Glasgow or RHUL. Both excellent universities
Thanks for ur advice, how is RHUL good in terms of career prospects in ur view as someone from UK?
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 5 days ago
I’m non eu. This is for a job in UK. I don’t have any special skills.

Comparative Literature is the only course I want to do uni. i thought for some industries which degree you do doesn’t matter as long as you have the networks like - media & communications, advertising.
Sorry I wasnt being mean. You will need a sponsor and that an prove difficult as they have to prove no home student could fill the position. Many employers wont consider you due to the extra hassle.

Your chosen uni may have data on the success of its international students finding employment.

I would say Leeds is a step up overall.

Just dont underestimate the competition and barriers you will face.

https://www.student.com/articles/how...tudying-there/
CollectiveSoul
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

you've chosen Comparative Literature and you're worried about petty differences between the job prospects of three similar universities?!

i would 100% go with Glasgow because you can study 3 subjects in your first year and then switch to a more employable degree.
StudentRep Annabel
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Congratulations on your offer to study at Kent!
I wouldn't worry too much about the university that you attend in terms of career prospects, although I'm no expert in the area I have found that when applying for internships (and in the case of my friends applying for graduate jobs) that having a degree with a good grade is certainly an advantage rather than strictly the university. One of the ways you can help yourself achieve the best possible grade is to look at the modules offered by each university and see which ones best suit you.
I certainly wouldn't rule out any universities based solely on this. If you'd like to talk to a current Comparative Literature student at Kent and see what internships/jobs/graduate jobs they have been looking into or got offers from, or even just to find out how the course is you can do so here; https://www.kent.ac.uk/unibuddy/
I hope this helps!

returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Be very aware that there is no entitlement to a job - and especially with a degree in English and no obvious skills that Britain actually needs.. There are thousands of UK graduates with English degrees so why would any British employer want you. The situation re. visas is going to get tighter and tighter over the next three years so your chances of a job here after graduation is pretty close to zero - you really do need to be more realistic about this.
CollectiveSoul
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by StudentRep Annabel)
Congratulations on your offer to study at Kent!
I wouldn't worry too much about the university that you attend in terms of career prospects, although I'm no expert in the area I have found that when applying for internships (and in the case of my friends applying for graduate jobs) that having a degree with a good grade is certainly an advantage rather than strictly the university. One of the ways you can help yourself achieve the best possible grade is to look at the modules offered by each university and see which ones best suit you.
I certainly wouldn't rule out any universities based solely on this. If you'd like to talk to a current Comparative Literature student at Kent and see what internships/jobs/graduate jobs they have been looking into or got offers from, or even just to find out how the course is you can do so here; https://www.kent.ac.uk/unibuddy/
I hope this helps!
"I have found that when applying for internships (and in the case of my friends applying for graduate jobs) that having a degree with a good grade is certainly an advantage rather than strictly the university."

this is absolutely, 100% true, and that's coming from a uni snob who only chose my 5 unis on the basis of reputation
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads