lucys0038
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, looking for a good Uni to study Graphics. Want lots of great lectures and inspiring teachers. Don't want to just be left to teach myself. Also good industry experience would be good. Any suggestions?
abbynub
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lucys0038)
Hi, looking for a good Uni to study Graphics. Want lots of great lectures and inspiring teachers. Don't want to just be left to teach myself. Also good industry experience would be good. Any suggestions?
I guess this is a bit of a bias opinion but I'm currently a first year student at Norwich University of the Arts and study graphic design and I think its really enjoyable! There's 3 sectors in the graphics department but in first year you experience all 3 so Graphic Communication, Design and Publishing and Graphic design- i think this is pretty sweet because you learn skills from all three and then become more knowledgeable with what sector you actually want to base your career path on. So second year is more onto that one subject, so if you pick Design and Publishing you will only be with D&P students whereas in first year you mix with everyone on the course- the class can be busy but only in the first weeks as after that the studios are quite calm. The briefs set are quite challenging and diverse whilst pushing you out into different parts of the industry- they can be a minimum of 1 week or 3 weeks (the projects) so you get the industry feel . We also have guest lectures usually every thursday where people from the industry come in and talk to us, also im pretty certain in year two we get to do work placement/experience in the industry- but we got to find this ourselves but of course the uni helps us. After uni you also have access to help from them in finding jobs- no matter when you ask for their support. I'd say a downside to the course is you do have to pay for materials yourself, so keep that in mind when creating final pieces but I think this will be the same for every art uni. Lecturers are also very present, if they arent in the studio then they can be found downstairs in their offices 90% of the time- so advice is always there, and if you want more personal talks you can set up meetings. There are also 3-4 design technicians always in the design studio offices where the computer labs are so if any problems arise with printing or software etc. they are always there to fix it. Aside from NUA I had Falmouth as a back up option as they also seemed to cover multiple parts of design, give you work experience in the industry and seem very welcoming .

I went on a long talk but if you have questions about nua hmu
UniversityOfSunderland
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there,

I can answer any questions you may have about the Graphic Design course we have here in Sunderland!

The Design programmes at Sunderland have been winning top international design awards and accolades for almost three decades. The most recent successes include the D&AD ‘The Best in Show’ and the Adobe Students Creative Awards.

100% of BA (Hons) Graphic Design and BA (Hons) Graphic Communication graduates are in graduate-level employment, further study or training within six months of graduating, according to DLHE 2016/17 (based on full-time, first degree, home leavers) and the university is one of six institutions across the UK that are participating in The Design Council’s Design Academy Scheme. (Design Academy is an interactive, four-day training programme for Design students at leading universities, helping to prepare students from a variety of disciplines for real-world design challenges by developing their strategic design capabilities)

Specific ‘employability days’ are often held to help students gain that essential cutting edge. Former graduates and employers are often invited to come into the University in order to look at student portfolios and give advice too!

You will never be 'left to teach yourself' and the lecturers themselves are practicing professionals at the cutting edge of their field. They bring their industry insights and experience directly into their teaching and that along with the fantastic facilities make for a truly rewarding experience.

With award-winning staff and students, and a focus on employability and cutting edge professional skills, what more could you want?

Let me know if you have any questions!
You can also find out more information here https://www.sunderland.ac.uk/study/d...raphic-design/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (355)
56.08%
I don't have everything I need (278)
43.92%

Watched Threads