The Student Room Group

Islamophobic terrorist told followers to subscribe to Pewdiepie

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bloomer36
Someone's fans don't reflect who they are. Really a narrow-minded thing to think. E.g. Jordan Peterson, a fantastic lecturer and psychologist has a lot of fans that don't reflect what he stands for, but they love him, each for their own reasons. He often gets in trouble for their behaviour and says he doesn't condone some of the irresponsible things they do.

Someone'ss fans don't define them. But maybe, just maybe, when so much of the fanbase overlaps with this kind of violence, you should start to wonder at the message he is promoting? If someone talks about white people being replaced and about how that's a bad thing, can we please admit that they are maybe partly responsible for the actions of someone who felt they were a warriror in some kind of delusional race war - even if Shapiro obviously does not explicity tell his fans to murder non-whites etc., and tries to present himself as respectable?
Original post by AngeryPenguin
(Original post by Dandaman1)There is zero evidence of this. The prevalence of violent video games and violent crime aren't even correlated. Not even remotely.

False. Recent studies have indeed shown some links. Nobody is saying if you play video games you turn violent, but that some people are indeed inspired by violence in video games.

https://usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2018/10/01/violent-video-games-tie-physical-aggression-confirmed-study/1486188002/
http://fortune.com/2018/10/02/violent-video-games-study/
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/yes-violent-video-games-trigger-aggression-but-debate-lingers/

I suggest you read into these more, because the studies are so disputed and the reported effects so small that it's hardly proof of some sort of meaningful link.
Someone'ss fans don't define them. But maybe, just maybe, when so much of the fanbase overlaps with this kind of violence, you should start to wonder at the message he is promoting? If someone talks about white people being replaced and about how that's a bad thing, can we please admit that they are maybe partly responsible for the actions of someone who felt they were a warriror in some kind of delusional race war - even if Shapiro obviously does not explicity tell his fans to murder non-whites etc., and tries to present himself as respectable?

Are you kidding me? That's a massive reach. You're really trying to imply that Ben Shapiro covertly wants/hopes that his fans murder non-whites?

Also, someone is only responsible for trying their best to speak their thoughts as accurately as they can, but they aren't responsible for other people's understanding of these words, which, inevitably would be perceived differently by the many different brains that listen to them, accompanied by different contexts for interest in these words.
Of course I don't have proof of that. The evidence is there in what the killer said.

Obviously it might well have happened without video games, since he was an extremist anyway. Video games probably didn't cause his racism etc., perhaps only amplified it. But since the killer seems to have been inspired in some way by video games, maybe we should take a bit of an uncomfortable look into that side of things.

You missed the fact that he first blames Spyro the dragon.

If video games have such a problem, then wheres the evidence and why arent these attacks much more common? there are hundreds of millions of players.

Did terrorist attacks happen before Fortnite?

Why are you claiming its racist?

You really dont seem to have any proof or know what you are talking about.
He also said Fortnite inspired him to kill.

Can we please admit that video game culture has a huge ****ing problem with racism and promoting pointless violence?

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/03/new-zealand-gunman-says-subscribe-to-pewdiepie-moments-before-livestreaming-shooting/

So of the 125 million people who play Fortnite, one of them kills a load of people and now "video game culture" is to blame?

This is like the crap arguments in 90s when the original GTA came out.
Here we go with the whole ''video games cause violence'' shite :rolleyes:
Original post by JoshDarnIt
Here we go with the whole ''video games cause violence'' shite :rolleyes:

Its 1999 again, we have regressed 20 years.
Original post by Decahedron
Its 1999 again, we have regressed 20 years.

Sad times man
My grandfather was told the same about the radio and my father about the TV and I am being told same baseless nonsense about games.
I don’t understand why you haven’t been banned yet. It really is baffling because they usually ban trolls very quickly.
Priorities dude, first ban those who do not openly adore Islam, then non-marxists, then sane people and then trolls. :biggrin:
Original post by YaliaV
I don’t understand why you haven’t been banned yet. It really is baffling because they usually ban trolls very quickly.
Original post by Dandaman1
If some murderous sociopath said a PEGI 12+ video game and YouTube celebrity inspired him, you don't blame the video game and the YouTube celebrity. It's not like thousands of people are going out and doing the same thing.

It was his own nutty hatred and beliefs that led him to kill. You don't actually get that from things children watch. The Catcher in the Rye wasn't really to blame for John Hinckley Jr. doing what he did.

feeble minded douche bags like Mr Tarrant find encouragement and acceptance in the *****ier corners of the internet.
Original post by 999tigger
You missed the fact that he first blames Spyro the dragon.

If video games have such a problem, then wheres the evidence and why arent these attacks much more common? there are hundreds of millions of players.

Did terrorist attacks happen before Fortnite?

Why are you claiming its racist?

You really dont seem to have any proof or know what you are talking about.

I was not aware of Spyro the Dragon.

Why are the attacks not more common? Well, partly one must suppose because the more violent video games, while having a huge audience, are still largely played by kids, who do not have ready access to guns.

I didn't call Fortnite racist. The killer seemed to say it inspired him. If he mentioned Spyro the Dragon too, then I am indeed now a bit confused about his point.
Reply 33
Just read the ‘manifesto’. It’s gross and disgusting. The individual is clearly racist and sick. He’s a 4chan troll/ shitposter of ‘edgy memes’. Honestly I think the whole manifesto is a sick extension of this. It’s filled with irony designed to offend and divide people. He explicitly states, multiple times he wants to create conflict between ideologies to initiate some ‘race war’.

He’s a far right white supremacist. This is the ideology to blame. Not video games, not pewdiepie, not any other individual he cites clearly has a ‘meme’, all of whom have nothing to do with far right extremism.
Well, as far as I can tell the most racist, xenophobic and violent cultures are not known to be much into gaming...
I was not aware of Spyro the Dragon.

Why are the attacks not more common? Well, partly one must suppose because the more violent video games, while having a huge audience, are still largely played by kids, who do not have ready access to guns.

I didn't call Fortnite racist. The killer seemed to say it inspired him. If he mentioned Spyro the Dragon too, then I am indeed now a bit confused about his point.
So of the 125 million people who play Fortnite, one of them kills a load of people and now "video game culture" is to blame?

This is like the crap arguments in 90s when the original GTA came out.

I didn't blame video game culture. I suggested it had links to extremism. This man almost certainly would have killed without video games. But that fact does not absolve violent video games.
Original post by BenK64
Just read the ‘manifesto’. It’s gross and disgusting. The individual is clearly racist and sick. He’s a 4chan troll/ shitposter of ‘edgy memes’. Honestly I think the whole manifesto is a sick extension of this. It’s filled with irony designed to offend and divide people. He explicitly states, multiple times he wants to create conflict between ideologies to initiate some ‘race war’.

He’s a far right white supremacist. This is the ideology to blame. Not video games, not pewdiepie, not any other individual he cites clearly has a ‘meme’, all of whom have nothing to do with far right extremism.

Are you actually saying that the killer is trying to get video games banned to start a race war?

And of course white supremacy is to blame. Nobody is saying otherwise. But some might think that violent video games feed into it, turning violent thoughts into violent action.
I didn't blame video game culture. I suggested it had links to extremism. This man almost certainly would have killed without video games. But that fact does not absolve violent video games.

Violent video games have been around since the early 90s, yet we have not seen a rise in violent crime. What we have seen is a drop in violent crime.

The idea that video games contribute to violence has been disproven so many times and I am amazed that you would even bring it up.

Some extremists play violent video games, most young people play violent video games. Are most young people violent?
Reply 38
Violent video games have been around since the early 90s, yet we have not seen a rise in violent crime. What we have seen is a drop in violent crime.

The general rise or fall in violent crime cannot be used as evidence for or against the idea that video games lead to more crime. For example, violent crimes caused by video games could have increased while overall crime is falling for completely separate reasons. Scientific studies don't just look at the overall crime rate.
Reply 39
Are you actually saying that the killer is trying to get video games banned to start a race war?

And of course white supremacy is to blame. Nobody is saying otherwise. But some might think that violent video games feed into it, turning violent thoughts into violent action.

What? No

Some may think that violent games makes you violent, which is exactly why he said. Some also think pewdiepie is a far right nazi. That’s why he said subscribe to pewdiepie. Some think candice Owens is a ‘traitor’ to African Americans, that’s why he said she inspired him. Some think that trump and Shapiro are racists, which is why he praised them. Everything he is saying here is a troll. A meme. He knows exactly how media and people will react. Just about any controversial reason you can think of for explaining a terrorists actions he uses it. He want to create division. It’s a sick game to him

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending