Emma Haruka Iwao smashes pi world record with Google help Watch

-Eirlys-
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47524760

"The value of the number pi has been calculated to a new world record length of 31 trillion digits, far past the previous record of 22 trillion.
Emma Haruka Iwao, a Google employee from Japan, found the new digits with the help of the company's cloud computing service.

Pi is the number you get when you divide a circle's circumference by its diameter.

The first digits, 3.14, are well known but the number is infinitely long.
Extending the known sequence of digits in pi is very difficult because the number follows no set pattern."

What a great achievement for women!
ThomH97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I read this earlier, and I wasn't really sure whether I was impressed as the article didn't have any detail. She used a computer which means most of the credit needs to go to whoever designed it unless she came up with a new way to calculate pi (in which case that's what she should be famous for). The BBC have (understandably?) not explained what the calculation used was, but if her method was one of the usual infinite sums just with more memory and processing power, that's not at all impressive on her part. It would be like giving the driver credit for breaking the land speed record when all they did was stomp the accelerator. Then again perhaps she was the one who rigged it all together and that is impressive, but not in the mathematical way as implied.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (128)
17.9%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.21%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.2%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (103)
14.41%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.79%
How can I be the best version of myself? (218)
30.49%

Watched Threads