The Student Room Group

What funding can I get studying medicine as a second degree?

Hi,

I have a place to studying Medicine at the University of Bristol this coming autumn (2019). I've just started my student finance application and as this will be my second undergraduate degree, I was unsure of what funding was available?

From reading previous posts etc. I was under the impression you could only get a maintenance loan and not a tuition fee loan.
Could you help?

I will also turn 25 in my third year, so in my 4th year does the amount of funding available change?

Thanks,
Orie
Original post by orieamadi
Hi,

I have a place to studying Medicine at the University of Bristol this coming autumn (2019). I've just started my student finance application and as this will be my second undergraduate degree, I was unsure of what funding was available?

From reading previous posts etc. I was under the impression you could only get a maintenance loan and not a tuition fee loan.
Could you help?

I will also turn 25 in my third year, so in my 4th year does the amount of funding available change?

Thanks,
Orie

Hi Orie,

If you already hold a degree and will be starting an undergraduate entry medicine degree you would only be eligible for the means tested Maintenance Loan. If you'll be 25 when the 4th academic year of the course starts we wouldn't ask your parents to support the application that year.

Regards,
Stuart
Hi, I am in the same situation as you Orie, I have already done a degree and will be starting at Bristol in September 2019. I have done quite a lot of research and the only thing that I am finding is that we have to fund the tuition fee loan ourselves for the first 4 years, but we get a maintenance loan.

Have you managed to find any other ways of funding it because funding £9,250 a year myself seems pretty impossible?

Thanks
Sophie
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending