The Student Room Group

Can someone 'objectively' explain why leaving the EU is a bad decision?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doones
Right so that's why you think it's false... In which case only 4% of signatures are outside the UK (and UK citizens living/working/holidaying abroad can sign it).

You can see a detailed breakdown by UK constituency here, there's absolutely no indication of large scale fraudulent signing:
https://www.livefrombrexit.com/petitions/

And a specific analysis for large-scale bot activity here finds none.
https://britorbot.org/2019/03/22/revoke-article-50-petition/

And lastly there's a nice map:
https://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/?petition=241584

That's 220,000 foreign signatures, ironic the same group complained of overseas involvement regarding the 2016 referendum!

Wonder how many of the signee's were under 18? Do you have that information?

I find you're map interesting, clear patterns form from that map, largely backing up what I've said regarding rich/poor areas and labour's heartlands.
Original post by Burton Bridge
That's 220,000 foreign signatures, ironic the same group complained of overseas involvement regarding the 2016 referendum!

Wonder how many of the signee's were under 18? Do you have that information?

I find you're map interesting, clear patterns form from that map, largely backing up what I've said regarding rich/poor areas and labour's heartlands.

How many Brits live/work/holiday abroad?

If there are foreign bots why has the signing rate slowed? Are the bots tired?
Original post by Doones
How many Brits live/work/holiday abroad?

If there are foreign bots why has the signing rate slowed? Are the bots tired?

Internet bills not been paid :biggrin: I don't think there are bots, it's not something I've thought of if I'm honest. However for balance I'm sure it would not take much to write a slow down in the program of a bot though?

British expats can vote that's fine, I take that point. So my revised question is how many unintelligible to vote signatures are they on the petition?
Internet bills not been paid :biggrin: I don't think there are bots, it's not something I've thought of if I'm honest. However for balance I'm sure it would not take much to write a slow down in the program of a bot though?

British expats can vote that's fine, I take that point. So my revised question is how many unintelligible to vote signatures are they on the petition?

No idea, but each would require a unique (non disposable) email address too so probably a relatively low %

As I've been saying, the answer is a 2nd Referendum with electoral commission rules.
Original post by Doones
No idea, but each would require a unique (non disposable) email address too so probably a relatively low %

As I've been saying, the answer is a 2nd Referendum with electoral commission rules.

Never going to agree that referenda is the answer to anything bar more division and confusion. I'd rather still be a member of Europe and never of had the referendum in the first place, even though I voted leave. However we are where we are but you don't fix a knife wound by stabbing it with another knife!

You can vote with free email addresses, can't you? Also as you said children can sign, we know a members children have signed it and I know a mate has stuck his kids on. I think the % could be higher than you think.
(edited 5 years ago)
You can vote with free email addresses, can't you? Also as you said children can sign, we know a members children have signed it and I know a mate has stuck his kids on. I think the % could be higher than you think.

You can vote with free email addresses yes, but there are systems in place to prevent abuse of it.

Under 18s are perfectly entitled to sign it. It's not a problem. As to what % :iiam:
Original post by Doones
You can vote with free email addresses yes, but there are systems in place to prevent abuse of it.

Under 18s are perfectly entitled to sign it. It's not a problem. As to what % :iiam:

That it is, but all we do know is it is a %
Reply 187
You can easily create a script to create emails and confirm....it's not hard.
Never going to agree that referenda is the answer to anything bar more division and confusion. I'd rather still be a member of Europe and never of had the referendum in the first place, even though I voted leave. However we are where we are but you don't fix a knife wound by stabbing it with another knife!

Original post by TPAULT
You can easily create a script to create emails and confirm....it's not hard.

And the HoC Petition Committee knows this and has measures in place to prevent mass signing by bots.
https://britorbot.org/2019/03/22/revoke-article-50-petition/

And, as I said earlier, have the bots got tired now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending