Level 3 Customer Service Diploma - need help with evidence!! The library study? Watch

amykd123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I have been told about a study that took place that would be great to use to answer some questions for my apprenticeship. However I cannot find any record of it online and no way of contacting the person that originally told me about it! Has anyone heard of it before and has any further info on it that could help?

Basically it was a study that took place (I believe in the 70s?) to show how interaction with customers had an affect on their perception of their experience. I was told it took place in a library. The first week of the study, the employees in the library provided little customer support and limited customer interaction as much as possible. They would speak only when a customer spoke to them, and keep answers short and to the point, didn't smile or convey emotion, didn't greet customer as they came and went.
Customers were interviewed afterwards and mostly said they had a poor experience, although never blamed the customer experience directly. Just things like the library was too dark, couldn't find the books I wanted, too noisy.

When they repeated the experiment the same employees were really friendly, smiled, greeted people as they came and went. Despite no change to the library itself, people viewed their experience much more positively, again without mentioning the customer service directly. Things like the library was really well laid out and bright, couldn't find what i wanted but its a popular book so i didnt mind and just picked something else, great atmosphere.

It sounds like a great study and perfect for some of my questions, but I just can't find any evidence of it actually having taken place!! So any help would be greatly appreciated!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads