Driver's licence automatic or stick? Watch

asdf2019!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, I'm in my final year of high school right now, and will start uni in Germany at the beginning of August this year. I want to get my driver's licence before but I don't know whether to do it in this country (UK) or Germany.

I only have 2 months of break between my high school graduation and the start of uni, and I am not sure if I could manage to pass the test for stick. I have driven a few times with stick, and it sometimes works but sometimes I struggle with stick.

Has anybody else managed to pass their driving test with stick, within 2 months?
tesconyc
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
are you interested in cars
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
CrazyConnor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Well Auto will probably get you passed a little bit quicker, but then you're limited to only being able to drive autos. I managed to get the hang of manual shifting within about a month, but it took me ages to actually get road confidence so I ended up taking 9 months of lessons before my test. Passed 1st time though, so all the lessons obviously paid off.
StriderHort
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(I'd be mildly surprised if someone was able to learn and get a test date that quick, any transmission)
hallamstudents
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by asdf2019!)
Hi, I'm in my final year of high school right now, and will start uni in Germany at the beginning of August this year. I want to get my driver's licence before but I don't know whether to do it in this country (UK) or Germany.

I only have 2 months of break between my high school graduation and the start of uni, and I am not sure if I could manage to pass the test for stick. I have driven a few times with stick, and it sometimes works but sometimes I struggle with stick.

Has anybody else managed to pass their driving test with stick, within 2 months?
It's normal to struggle driving a manual/stick car when you first start out! It look me a long time to get to grips with it. If you want to pass your test quickly then book a driving theory test today and download the DVSA theory test practice app. I found this really useful, especially with the hazard perception part. Other than that I'd just try to get in as much practice as possible. Book your practical driving test as soon as you've done your theory, but if you don't think you're ready closer to the time, you can always cancel it and get your money back.

Lucy
scorpion95
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
If you pass in an automatic then you can't drive a manual car so in a way you're limiting yourself to what cars you can drive. I possibly would say that an automatic would be easier to pass in. Automatic cars do have their advantages and your more confident driving an automatic then go for it. I would say pass the test in the UK, you know the roads better, know the rules etc, so would be quicker to pass
username944385
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You could learn that quick if you booked yourself on one of these intensive courses. Problem with automatic cars, is that if you ever decide you want to drive a manual car you’ll have to take your test again.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
The problem could actually lie with being able to book both your tests in that short amount of time. For the practical one especially you'd probably have to book a few months in advance and you'd had to have passed your theory beforehand.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.55%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (64)
9.55%
No I am happy with my course choice (379)
56.57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.33%

Watched Threads