How Are My A Level Subject Choices? Watch

Amna4387
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I’m going with Economics, Physics, Literature and Psychology. Any suggestions? Does it sound okay? Is A Level Physics really hard? I’m decent in physics but not a prodigy.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
jenhasdreams
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Amna4387)
I’m going with Economics, Physics, Literature and Psychology. Any suggestions? Does it sound okay? Is A Level Physics really hard? I’m decent in physics but not a prodigy.
Hi, I've moved this into the A-Levels forum, hopefully you'll get some replies there
Master1022
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
It is definitely an interesting combination. Before I provide any suggestions, what are you hoping/planning to read at University? If these subjects align with the requirements, then that is fine.

Might be slightly biased, but I think Physics is great! To answer your question, Physics has a stigma for being really hard. However, I think that is because it is a conceptual subject - compared to other subjects, you do not need to remember vast amounts of information, but mainly some core principles from which everything is derived. Thus, I think it is safe to say that there is a harder learning curve when learning the concepts such that it might be tricky to learn them, but once you have learned them, things become easier. You definitely do not have to be a prodigy, but if you are willing to put the extra time in, then it won't matter at all. I have noticed that you are doing Physics, but not Maths A-Level. While Physics A-Level isn't heavily based on maths anymore (it has a decent amount of writing), it may be hard to comprehend where certain formulae have come from if you haven't met concepts like Differential Equations, which are basically the bread and butter of Physics.

Therefore, to try and summarise:
- As long as this combination aligns with the university degree you want to study, then it should be fine. Note that you are cutting off some subjects due to lack of Maths A-level
- Physics can be hard in all honesty, but if you put the time in, it is fine. There is plenty of quality content on the internet that can help you get to a sufficient level of understanding.

Hope that is of some help.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It is an unusual combination because someone choosing Economics and Physics would normally choose Maths too, which would be helpful if they decided to study Economics at Uni and vital for Physics based careers such as Engineering.

If you are more interested long term in your Literature/Psychology based subjects, it seems unnecessary for you to choose Economics and Physics to go alongside them, especially as you have concerns about A level Physics. Have you considered only doing 3 A levels?
Droplette
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
It is an unusual combination because someone choosing Economics and Physics would normally choose Maths too, which would be helpful if they decided to study Economics at Uni and vital for Physics based careers such as Engineering.

If you are more interested long term in your Literature/Psychology based subjects, it seems unnecessary for you to choose Economics and Physics to go alongside them, especially as you have concerns about A level Physics. Have you considered only doing 3 A levels?
I agree here. When it comes to A Levels, it's important to remember that it's a qualification. You sit for it because you'll need it in the future so your choices should depend on what you intend to do later.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.58%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.68%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.27%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (93)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.89%
How can I be the best version of myself? (191)
29.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed