The Student Room Group

Is it worth moving away from home to study a foundation year?

Hello,

So a topic that has been bothering me ever since before I applied to university is that what the title says.

Reason for this question is because I've had mixed opinions from friends who are currently studying at university who have decided to move out, and from family.

It may be considered that I may or may not even be at the university to study for that long within a week and that timetables may change.

Also the distance if it helps is that in theory I would be moving from the Sunderland to Newcastle Upon Tyne which you can travel there and back via a Bus or Metro. Which takes about 30-60 minutes?

Just want some thoughts and opinions and maybe to things to think about because I know for certain that not many people can really give a straight up answer.

Thanks!
Original post by Vortex265
Hello,

So a topic that has been bothering me ever since before I applied to university is that what the title says.

Reason for this question is because I've had mixed opinions from friends who are currently studying at university who have decided to move out, and from family.

It may be considered that I may or may not even be at the university to study for that long within a week and that timetables may change.

Also the distance if it helps is that in theory I would be moving from the Sunderland to Newcastle Upon Tyne which you can travel there and back via a Bus or Metro. Which takes about 30-60 minutes?

Just want some thoughts and opinions and maybe to things to think about because I know for certain that not many people can really give a straight up answer.

Thanks!

Look at how much the accomodation costs, vs the travel costs and then do a trial run of the travelling to see if you are comfortable doing it long term.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Look at how much the accomodation costs, vs the travel costs and then do a trial run of the travelling to see if you are comfortable doing it long term.

I've already traveled there before, the accommodation i was planning on going to is like a 10-20 minute walk from the uni? Atleast I would only be in one place though.
(edited 5 years ago)
I've already traveled there before, the accommodation i was planning on going to is like a 10-20 minute walk from the uni? Atleast I would only be in one place though.

If it's a 20 minute walk that won't make much difference
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
If it's a 20 minute walk that won't make much difference

Idk if you misunderstood sorry about that.

I meant from where i live now I would have to travel on a metro/bus for 30-60 minutes, take about 5-10 minutes to get to a stop?

From the accomodation to the uni its about 10 minute walk? It would save the hour as well as the potential of waking up in early mornings for a possible 1 hour lecture or something.

But yeah I think I will move out just so it saves that kind of travel so much during the week just in case. Also I want to kind of experience that independence.
Idk if you misunderstood sorry about that.

I meant from where i live now I would have to travel on a metro/bus for 30-60 minutes, take about 5-10 minutes to get to a stop?

From the accomodation to the uni its about 10 minute walk? It would save the hour as well as the potential of waking up in early mornings for a possible 1 hour lecture or something.

But yeah I think I will move out just so it saves that kind of travel so much during the week just in case. Also I want to kind of experience that independence.

It's worth it if you want to do it for the independence, you can always give it a go for first year then change your mind.
Hello,

Thanks!

Personally I’d say move to halls it’s a great experience.
Reply 7
Will it also be alright to possibly use finance when it comes in to make a deposit for the desired acccomodation?

I don’t think I have the money for a deposit, it will also mean I can book it when I’m sure I have the place

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending