Biological Anthropology: Oxford Brookes or University of Kent? Watch

noobsoup
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Help me decide. I am a mature student from Belgium so I will be staying wherever I'm going to be studying throughout the weekends.

Where Oxford Brookes wins from University Of Kent:
-Oxford has a population of 150k which is perf imo, Canterbury's population of 50k is a little bit too small
-Lots of psychology/cognitive modules, UoKent has none

Where Kent wins from Oxford Brookes:
-I don't know how much this matters but Oxford Brookes has had very lefty chancellors, dunno about the current one
-Better rankings, bit more prestigious, better entry requirements (Brookes has meaningless english entry reqs imo (52/90 on PTE A), I got 75 on my PTE academic with 3 hours of sleep and 2 hours of practice and my English is far from perfect)

Oxford Brookes rankings have been increasing while UoKent rankings have been decreasing, but UoKent is still ranked above Oxford Brookes on all rankings. Any prospects on the future? Will Brookes keep on expanding and maybe even beat Kent in the future? Is there a lot of socialization between OU and OBU students?
Last edited by noobsoup; 1 week ago
StudentRep Annabel
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi there,
I'm a social media rep and third year student at the University of Kent. Congratulations on your offer to study at Kent!
Deciding between universities can be quite difficult especially if you don't have the chance to go and visit them on applicant days. If you are able to attend any applicant days I would highly recommend it as it gives you a really good sense of what life is like at the university. But obviously as you are in Belgium unfortunately this may not be an option.
If you are worried about the size of Canterbury, in 2017 the population was estimated to be around 160,000 people. Canterbury is a lovely city with loads of shops, bars, restaurants, parks and of course the Cathedral, and generally has a good atmosphere. The University of Kent campus is like a little oasis in Canterbury, with loads of wildlife and green spaces, its really like having the best of both worlds!
When it comes to deciding between universities the most important thing is how much the course and university life appeals to you, as these will make a huge difference to your university experience.
Although our biological anthropology course does not directly offer modules in psychology, you can take wild modules alongside your course in psychology throughout your degree which could really fit in alongside your other modules. You can take a look at our list of wild modules here; https://www.kent.ac.uk/csao/files/handbooks/wild.pdf
If you'd like to speak to one of our current students also studying Biological Anthropology then you can do so through our Unibuddy system; https://www.kent.ac.uk/unibuddy/

If you have any other questions about life at the University of Kent, please feel free to ask

(Original post by noobsoup)
Help me decide. I am a mature student from Belgium so I will be staying wherever I'm going to be studying throughout the weekends.

Where Oxford Brookes wins from University Of Kent:
-Oxford has a population of 150k which is perf imo, Canterbury's population of 50k is a little bit too small
-Lots of psychology/cognitive modules, UoKent has none

Where Kent wins from Oxford Brookes:
-I don't know how much this matters but Oxford Brookes has had very lefty chancellors, dunno about the current one
-Better rankings, bit more prestigious, better entry requirements (Brookes has meaningless english entry reqs imo (52/90 on PTE A), I got 75 on my PTE academic with 3 hours of sleep and 2 hours of practice and my English is far from perfect)

Oxford Brookes rankings have been increasing while UoKent rankings have been decreasing, but UoKent is still ranked above Oxford Brookes on all rankings. Any prospects on the future? Will Brookes keep on expanding and maybe even beat Kent in the future? Is there a lot of socialization between OU and OBU students?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.83%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.72%

Watched Threads