medicine application help Watch

malika2
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I am currently in year 12 and have limited attendance in education due to mental health problems. I also haven't been able to do much work experience this year or voluntary work. I was wondering what advice anyone had on accessing work experience, the application process and the entry exams? I am desperate to better my application; what are most people doing this year to improve the entry to medicine? This is my dream job and all I want to do and I am desperate to apply this year and have really been working hard for this. I am so anxious that I haven't do enough and I won't get in so any help will be greatly appreciated. Also do uni's take into consideration your health and are compassionate about this on entry?
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by malika2)
I am currently in year 12 and have limited attendance in education due to mental health problems. I also haven't been able to do much work experience this year or voluntary work. I was wondering what advice anyone had on accessing work experience, the application process and the entry exams? I am desperate to better my application; what are most people doing this year to improve the entry to medicine? This is my dream job and all I want to do and I am desperate to apply this year and have really been working hard for this. I am so anxious that I haven't do enough and I won't get in so any help will be greatly appreciated. Also do uni's take into consideration your health and are compassionate about this on entry?
What are your stats? You could always take a gap year and just focus on your studies now, then work experience in your gap year if it's that much of a concern. But remember it's quality not quantity. No, medical schools won't give you compassionate entry.
malika2
Rep:
?
Thank you for your advice I was planning on spending my summer on quality work experience in hospitals and volunteering also on children’s wards. And perhaps getting a job as a HCA or something
Dizgurl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thank you for your advice I was planning on spending my summer on quality work experience in hospitals and volunteering also on children’s wards. And perhaps getting a job as a HCA or something
Have you contacted the respective hospitals to arrange for hospital work experience? I remember having to book back in Octorber to secure a place in July at my local hospital. Make sure to give early notice! You could also consider working in a care home or a hospice as that counts as really good exposure to elderly or even palliative care
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Sounds like a good plan. Your deadline is in October. That gives you the whole summer to get experience. I also suggest doing the UKCAT sooner rather than later, so it doesn't clash with school.

When I say quality over quantity, I mean how you reflect on your experience is what counts. You could have hours and hours worth of great experience, but if you can't reflect on it in your PS and in interviews, it will be useless.
Last edited by Royal Oak; 5 months ago
DGeorge13
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
So long as you have the correct predictions and a good admissions test as well as a decent personal statement and application I don’t see there being any difficulty- with work experience check individual uni requirements as some have specified amounts and others don’t; it’s definitely quality over quantity in terms of how you reflect on experiences as some people have lots of high profile placements and don’t get in whereas others have a couple of placements and reflect well and get to interview. Many people do have a few months of volunteering when successful as it is a good amount of time to gain insight and show commitment although it is still possible with less. In terms of health it isn’t taken into consideration per se and will not get compassionate entry however medical schools are not supposed to discriminate in accordance with the equality act so whilst you would have to be honest in disclosing things and would possibly have to have an occupational Health Check to see that you are definitely ok to cope with medicine and wouldn’t put yourself or others at risk and to come up with any reasonable adjustments you should be ok on that front - as in having a mental health issue will not 100% stop you becoming a doctor although there may be things you have to clear to ensure that it is okay with the GMC etc. In terms of applications most people are probably just looking at what they have to do at the moment and looking at entry requirements of courses they like as well as getting experience and planning how they will tackle their applications later on so they are prepared.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
999tigger
Report 5 months ago
You need to do your research and learn about your target unis very carefully.
Their policy will tell you what they emphasise including how much experience.
2-4 weeks should be enough as said quality over quantity.
Make plenty of food applications as its competitive plus think laterally about places where you can get experience of healthcare delivery, some of which is better if its direct patient care.

Your MH issues and limited attendance would concern me as your #1 target is AAA or better at first sitting with preferably Bio and Chem. You can still make big changes as its year 12, but understand the timetable and when you need to have everything in place by.

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf
malika2
Rep:
?
Thank you, I will contact them this week then. The care home is a really good idea, I'll definitely consider this.
malika2
Rep:
?
thank you for all your advice it has been so helpful.
(Original post by Royal Oak)
Sounds like a good plan. Your deadline is in October. That gives you the whole summer to get experience. I also suggest doing the UKCAT sooner rather than later, so it doesn't clash with school.

When I say quality over quantity, I mean how you reflect on your experience is what counts. You could have hours and hours worth of great experience, but if you can't reflect on it in your PS and in interviews, it will be useless.
malika2
Rep:
?
thank you for your advice. I probably should check the requirements of the universities I would like to enter.
(Original post by DGeorge13)
So long as you have the correct predictions and a good admissions test as well as a decent personal statement and application I don’t see there being any difficulty- with work experience check individual uni requirements as some have specified amounts and others don’t; it’s definitely quality over quantity in terms of how you reflect on experiences as some people have lots of high profile placements and don’t get in whereas others have a couple of placements and reflect well and get to interview. Many people do have a few months of volunteering when successful as it is a good amount of time to gain insight and show commitment although it is still possible with less. In terms of health it isn’t taken into consideration per se and will not get compassionate entry however medical schools are not supposed to discriminate in accordance with the equality act so whilst you would have to be honest in disclosing things and would possibly have to have an occupational Health Check to see that you are definitely ok to cope with medicine and wouldn’t put yourself or others at risk and to come up with any reasonable adjustments you should be ok on that front - as in having a mental health issue will not 100% stop you becoming a doctor although there may be things you have to clear to ensure that it is okay with the GMC etc. In terms of applications most people are probably just looking at what they have to do at the moment and looking at entry requirements of courses they like as well as getting experience and planning how they will tackle their applications later on so they are prepared.
malika2
Rep:
?
thank you so much. I will research into my uni's, that link is very helpful I am sitting mocks this year and if I perform badly I will consider re sitting the year.

(Original post by 999tigger)
You need to do your research and learn about your target unis very carefully.
Their policy will tell you what they emphasise including how much experience.
2-4 weeks should be enough as said quality over quantity.
Make plenty of food applications as its competitive plus think laterally about places where you can get experience of healthcare delivery, some of which is better if its direct patient care.

Your MH issues and limited attendance would concern me as your #1 target is AAA or better at first sitting with preferably Bio and Chem. You can still make big changes as its year 12, but understand the timetable and when you need to have everything in place by.

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf
999tigger
Report 5 months ago
thank you so much. I will research into my uni's, that link is very helpful I am sitting mocks this year and if I perform badly I will consider re sitting the year.
A levels have to be passed without resits or within the 2 year window in most cases. Resiting the year is unlikely to work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.75%
Excited (150)
8.98%
Worried (302)
18.07%
Terrified (374)
22.38%
Meh (154)
9.22%
Confused (37)
2.21%