Accepted grad scheme offer, can i now change my mind? Watch

princess1236
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hi guys

I've accepted my offer for the civil service fast stream.
However, I have now been progressed onto the AC for a finance scheme at a company (which I would prefer).

My question is, if i go to the AC and get the offer, can I decline the Civil Service offer i currently hold?

Extra info: I'm currently not employed (full-time student) and for the fast stream, I am still completing pre-employment checks.

THANK YOU!
commodoro
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
You're not obligated to take any job, until you sign a contract (even then you can quit) you can just email them and quit. But obviously wait until you know how the AC goes.
Person12345678
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
You can easily get out of contracts or an offer. Downside is the company might hold a grudge against you for doing that. Preferably if you have two offers consider negotiating, play them off each other. It's worth a shot right?
princess1236
Rep:
?
(Original post by Person12345678)
You can easily get out of contracts or an offer. Downside is the company might hold a grudge against you for doing that. Preferably if you have two offers consider negotiating, play them off each other. It's worth a shot right?
Thanks for your reply!

Yes definitely. I just thought I might get into legal trouble or something for accepting a contract and then declining it...
Person12345678
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I've had this concern in the past as I've had similar situations but had it checked out with my career tutor and a friend of mine who works in HR. Contracts and offers are there to help you. Besides they can't force you to work for them without your consent..... I swear that's called slavery! Out of interest what's the company for finance?
(Original post by princess1236)
Thanks for your reply!

Yes definitely. I just thought I might get into legal trouble or something for accepting a contract and then declining it...
princess1236
Rep:
?
I've had this concern in the past as I've had similar situations but had it checked out with my career tutor and a friend of mine who works in HR. Contracts and offers are there to help you. Besides they can't force you to work for them without your consent..... I swear that's called slavery! Out of interest what's the company for finance?
Telecoms company - finance scheme. (Don't want to give too much info on a public forum because HR does stalk TSR).
Civil service was kind of my second choice.

Yh as long as I have a genuine vvalid reason for declining the Civil Service offer, I should be okay i think...
Person12345678
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Yeah I just know a lot of people talk about fast stream like its the second coming of Christ so I was just interested what you preferred, best of luck with everything
princess1236
Rep:
?
Yeah I just know a lot of people talk about fast stream like its the second coming of Christ so I was just interested what you preferred, best of luck with everything
Fast stream is great, don't get me wrong! But I want to work at a more energetic, face-paced and "tech focused" environment so yeah.

You too! Thank you for helping me out, pls let me know if I can help you in any way!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads