Commuting? Do i? Don't i? Watch

charlottejade24
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So basically, long story short, i withdrew my application from Cardiff University following my dad falling ill and me needing to be closer to home. I applied to Exeter for Law following this (20 minutes from where i live) but due to the timings of everything i was a late applicant. My college contextualised my application to explain why i withdrew my application and applied late. Exeter have emailed me back explaining that they could not accept me for Law LLB (probably because spaces have gone with it being a popular subject) but could offer me Law LLB with Business. I have to decide in two weeks. The Law LLB with Business is at their cornwall campus (2 hours away) so further than Cardiff was in the first place. I have emailed asking if i could do the law modules at Exeter and the Business at Cornwall and commute but i really want to go to University this year but don't know whether it's worth commuting? I have to live at home to support my family but what shall i do? I could get a permit for parking near the university cornwall campus maybe? Can someone please help me /give me advice?
Catherine1973
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
tough one. if your reason for staying at home are still applicable, then spending 2 hours a day (well 4 hours there and back) driving won't be great. and very expensive driving or getting the train (where at least you can study if have a seat)
Maybe best to wait for clearing to get something more local or re-apply for 2020 in good time next Autumn.
By 2020, you should have a better chance of getting into local university.
or one way or another, it may no longer be needed to be at home so could consider other Universities.
Blue_eye_boi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If law is what you want to do then definitely consider waiting.

I currently commute for my course and it is really challenging and draining. Mainly because of the amount of time that it soaks up during your day. There is no guarantee that you will be fortunate with timetabling either, would you honestly commute 4 hours for a 2 hour lecture or seminar?

You also need to consider that it will be the start of your life, living away from home will really help you develop and learn in many ways.

Will waiting a year allow you to spend the time needed at home so you can move out when you reapply? Would also allow you to work and save some cash before you start which is always helpful.

All the best
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.83%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise