First Year Computer Science Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Can anyone tell me more about what is covered in the first year of computer science. The website does not appear to go into as much detail of the modules as other universities do. Almost certain I will be picking St Andrews, it was my favourite when I visited.
JainaRose
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Can anyone tell me more about what is covered in the first year of computer science. The website does not appear to go into as much detail of the modules as other universities do. Almost certain I will be picking St Andrews, it was my favourite when I visited.
Both semesters are taught in Java. First semester starts fairly slow, since it's designed to be okay for people who have never programmed before, but by the end of the year you'll be quite far along. You'll certainly be comfortable with for-loops, switch statements, classes, using APIs, and so on by the end of first semester. <a href="https://portal.st-andrews.ac.uk/catalogue/View?code=CS1002">Here</a> is the first-semester module, and <a href="https://portal.st-andrews.ac.uk/catalogue/View?code=CS1003">here</a> is second semester. Each has a fairly comprehensive list of the concepts covered.

Let me know if you have any more questions about CS at St Andrews! I'm a second-year studying it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of St Andrews
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Apr '19
    Wed, 10 Apr '19
    Wed, 17 Apr '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.58%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.68%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.27%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (93)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.89%
How can I be the best version of myself? (191)
29.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed