Self funding a year of uni Watch

MealyTheDragon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
So I am going to be self funding a year of my degree and I was wondering if anyone else has done this and if so how did you mange ? Do you have any advice ?

My situation in summary:
I studied 2&1/2years of my first degree however was suffering with anorexia during this time and had to drop out to attend hospital treatment. I am now going back to uni in September to a different uni & different course (psychology at Bangor), but due to my previous (miserable) attempt at university I only have 1 year of fee funding left. I have applied for compelling personal reasons for the year I had to leave my first course. So am hoping to have 2 years of fees loan.

So I am trying to raise £9000 to cover the 1st years fees. I currently have a full time job so think I can get some of the way towards this before I start, but then I worry about what money i'll have left for living costs.
I've been looking for grants, but haven't successfully found one yet. I will continue to work part time whilst at uni, but I am worrying about the effect this might have of on my studies and whether I will safe enough for fees and have money to live off.

Sorry for the ramble. If you're in a similar situation do you have a plan ?
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by MealyTheDragon)
So I am going to be self funding a year of my degree and I was wondering if anyone else has done this and if so how did you mange ? Do you have any advice ?

My situation in summary:
I studied 2&1/2years of my first degree however was suffering with anorexia during this time and had to drop out to attend hospital treatment. I am now going back to uni in September to a different uni & different course (psychology at Bangor), but due to my previous (miserable) attempt at university I only have 1 year of fee funding left. I have applied for compelling personal reasons for the year I had to leave my first course. So am hoping to have 2 years of fees loan.

So I am trying to raise £9000 to cover the 1st years fees. I currently have a full time job so think I can get some of the way towards this before I start, but then I worry about what money i'll have left for living costs.
I've been looking for grants, but haven't successfully found one yet. I will continue to work part time whilst at uni, but I am worrying about the effect this might have of on my studies and whether I will safe enough for fees and have money to live off.

Sorry for the ramble. If you're in a similar situation do you have a plan ?
You can apply for cpr for more than one year. Maybe its worth trying for the year before as well if you had anorexia and it was serious. It helps if it was documented.

My advice is get better first. Health is more important. You cant afford to have it go wrong again. psychology will always be there.
MealyTheDragon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
You can apply for cpr for more than one year. Maybe its worth trying for the year before as well if you had anorexia and it was serious. It helps if it was documented.

My advice is get better first. Health is more important. You cant afford to have it go wrong again. psychology will always be there.
Thanks for your answer! True, I’ve had a couple of years out of uni now and feel ready to return
when I spoke to student finance they said you can only get cpr for years you fail/don’t complete ? During my second year I was quite unwell, but still passed the year. So I thought I wouldn’t be able to get cpr for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.64%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.71%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.32%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.49%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.92%
How can I be the best version of myself? (190)
29.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed