Is it appropriate for teachers and year 11 students to hug? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I’m 16 and was thinking about leavers day, and I was wondering if i am allowed to hug teachers on leavers day? I’m female and I have predominantly male teachers so idk if this would be a problem.. would I have to ask for one as well?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
literaryromantic
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I would say it's not really appropriate at this age. I remember getting a hug from my (only slightly older, female) English teacher when I got my university place in year 13 but nothing else.
Anonymous #2
Report 5 days ago
I would say it really depends on the nature of your relationship with your teachers?
If it were me personally I would not, but if you feel like you have a good relationship and it is not against school policy, then I supposed there is no harm in asking.
I would ask though because you don’t know if they feel comfortable in the situation.
If they seem happy to I can’t see it being a problem
UnknownD7
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hell nah!! 😨
Last edited by UnknownD7; 5 days ago
y.u.mad.bro?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
No. You shouldn't hug them and they won't hug you. I was only ever hugged by my Business studies teacher who I had known for a long time and was also a family friend. Other than that, I hugged no teacher myself when I left school. If you want to show your appreciation, I would recommend giving them a card or letter.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m 16 and was thinking about leavers day, and I was wondering if i am allowed to hug teachers on leavers day? I’m female and I have predominantly male teachers so idk if this would be a problem.. would I have to ask for one as well?
Depends. It can be a tricky area because people will sue over anything.
Just ask permission and hen I think its ok. If they are uncomfortable with it they will say no.
Anonymous #3
Report 5 days ago
We actually asked the teacher about this a while back because we were curious and it’s a pretty open school and I think they said that they can’t really initiate the hug but it should be fine if you do. Having said that a teacher’s hugged me before and she was my form tutor at the time/ is quite old so it was fine it was just the way an aunt would hug somebody tbh it’s not that big of a deal at least not in my school
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
yes, it's fine. Just ask for permission, visual cues, etc; first. This brings no harm to anybody and is nice as you won't see your teachers again. I hugged my teachers at year 6 leavers.
literaryromantic
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
You were in year 6 though. Not 16.
(Original post by Obolinda)
yes, it's fine. Just ask for permission, visual cues, etc; first. This brings no harm to anybody and is nice as you won't see your teachers again. I hugged my teachers at year 6 leavers.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by UnknownD7)
Hell nah!! 😨 Once you enter this vicious circle your next question will be: “Is it ok for underaged students and teachers to f**k?”
well I mean no... i am 100% aware that teachers are in a position of authority and would be comprising this for any kind of non professional relationship. I’m simply enquiring wether students are allowed to offer a small sign of appreciation lmao
MinaBee
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
As long as they're willing to and you don't force yourself on them I don't see the problem.
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by literaryromantic)
so? Don't see how a consensual hug ever harmed anyone...
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 5 days ago
What is wrong if both people consent? It is just a hug.
GetTheLondonLook
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
You’ll see them on results day
literaryromantic
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a consensual hug between a 16yr old and someone older, just that they may make their teacher uncomfortable or place them in a difficult position regarding safeguarding rules which are designed to be over cautious
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 5 days ago
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a consensual hug between a 16yr old and someone older, just that they may make their teacher uncomfortable or place them in a difficult position regarding safeguarding rules which are designed to be over cautious
Isnt that the whole point of consent?
ultimateradman
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Its best not to, but if you really want to just make sure they are OK with it.
Wufflee_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Depends on the situation and how close you are to the teacher. I went to a very small school (this was when I was 15/16) so everyone knew everyone and the teachers were super close with each other, so hugging the teachers has always been normal for me, but as I said it depends on the situation and such.

You mentioned about leavers day - that should be fine, it's like a sort of goodbye hug (not including results day, where any hugs are typically out of celebration and pride more than anything else). Just make sure they're comfortable with it and you should be good to go. On leavers day there often isn't an expectation on professionalism and such, although I can only talk from my own experience.

Ask them if they're okay with it first, and if they don't seem confident with it then respect their space. Otherwise, I don't see why there would be too much of an issue!
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
That's why you ask for consent? Safeguarding rules don't stipulate that hug are not allowed, the hugs would be on leavers as goodbye hug, not on a common occurrence.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
maybe just give them a high five ?

idk
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads