any mature students stayed in student halls? Watch

Miss_Colly
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm a mature student (27) who will hopefully be studying adult nursing in September. Whichever uni I go to I'm going to have to move there as I currently live in the middle of nowhere and don't drive. I was just wondering if any mature students stayed in halls and what it was like. We're you put with a bunch of 18 year old. I'm worried about this happening as I don't think you can indicate a preference on who you're housed with at my first choice uni.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Discarded
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've never stayed in Halls but I have lived in student accommodation (self catering) as a mature student. I didn't indicate any preferences in my application but my university housed me with other mature students. I've no firm basis for this but I have a suspicion that there may be a higher percentage of mature students staying in self catered accommodation than in catered halls so if that's an option for you then it may be worth considering.

Have you looked for contact details for the accommodation department at your preferred uni? There may be a way to contact them and discuss your concerns directly.
Miss_Colly
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have been looking at self catered university accommodation and plan to speak to the accommodation team on my applicant visit day at the end of the month about it too. I had hoped to get a studio/flat/bedsit but everything is so expensive around my 1st choice plus my family says it will do me good to have to live with other people and make friends as I currently have non.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
DCDCo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Some Uni's will allow you to stay with post-grads as mature student. Have a chat with them.
Smooth Sailing
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 hours ago
(Original post by Miss_Colly)
I'm a mature student (27) who will hopefully be studying adult nursing in September. Whichever uni I go to I'm going to have to move there as I currently live in the middle of nowhere and don't drive. I was just wondering if any mature students stayed in halls and what it was like. We're you put with a bunch of 18 year old. I'm worried about this happening as I don't think you can indicate a preference on who you're housed with at my first choice uni.
I'm a bit younger (22), however fortunately I was put into halls with other people around my age (I'm guessing the university actively worked to make this happen). That being said it could be worth contacting the university directly and asking if you can be put with older students, I'm sure they'll be able to sort it.

PS: If you get the option to request being in a designated quiet flat then it's definitely worth doing, as generally it's usually us oldies who go for such things
Last edited by Smooth Sailing; 14 hours ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (150)
18.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.8%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (137)
17%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.14%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.65%

Watched Threads