Choosing computer science degree Watch

thatguyZero
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello everyone,

I have some questions regarding the computer science degree in general and more specifically in the UK (if that makes any difference).

I was looking at several London based universities to do computer science, the likes of Goldsmiths, UCL, London Metropolitan and the rest. However, I do have a burning question in need of answering.

Can I apply to this field of study, without having the advanced knowledge of programming? And if I were to choose this degree, would learning in advance help me out in the long term (also what languages are recommended to learn).
jtkai
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
To the best of my knowledge, universities don’t expect applicants to have previous knowledge or experience of programming in order to study computer science - they will teach you the languages you’ll need as part of the course and assume nothing in terms of previous experience or knowledge. Many schools don’t teach computer science so they don’t want to disadvantage applicants!

If you’d like to teach yourself, it certainly wouldn’t hurt; it can help you demonstrate that you have an interest in compsci, and you can see if you definitely enjoy it. Popular languages for beginners to learn are Python, Java and JavaScript - which language you’d choose depends on what kind of programs you want to create. I’ve seen Java mentioned on many courses as an example of a programming language that they teach in, so it might be a good one to look at?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Molseh
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Python seems to be the consensus language to learn for a taster before University. Been advised to me at multiple applicant days by lecturers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (150)
18.56%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.78%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (138)
17.08%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (115)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.78%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.57%

Watched Threads