(PLEASE READ) Stuck on A Level choices Watch

TheNeonCoffin
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
NOTE: There is a TL;DR at the end of you can't be bothered to read the whole thing. Any advice would be appreciated 😊.

Hi. I am doing my GCSEs and need to decide
what A Levels to choose. The deadline is the 18th March for the 6th form I want to go to 😖. Not long left!

I want to do Psychology and Sociology (I find them both interesting and could see myself studying them). I'm not sure what to pick for the third one though. I'm stuck between Biology and Philosophy. I've always had low motivation to study, made worse by mental issues I've had going on. I'd like to choose a levels that aren't too heavy of a workload.

I don't enjoy Biology much, but i got a 7 in it in the last mocks. People say I should choose this as it complements Psychology. But I've also heard people say you should only choose it if you have to. I'm thinking of doing a psychology degree, and all the unis near my area don't require specific subjects. The workload seems a bit too much, and I
don't LOVE it at GCSEs.

Philosophy seems pretty interesting. But people have said there is loads of essays and things to remember, and that its for very academically clever people (requirement to study it is 4 Grade 6s). I've also heard that some people hate it and some love it. I'm just not sure where I am at the moment.

TL;DR, I'm stuck between choosing Biology and Philosophy as my 3rd A Level option. I have until 18 March. I don't see myself enjoying Biology, and I might enjoy Philosophy. I just dont want too much of a workload, as I have seriously low motivation for studying.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Well then it kinda seems obvious that you'd rather do philosophy

However, you say you don't want too much of a workload as you hate studying - it doesn't matter about the workload of a particular subject. With any combination of subjects, if you want to do well, you'll have to work for it. The GCSE work ethic will not work at A-level.
TheNeonCoffin
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Well then it kinda seems obvious that you'd rather do philosophy

However, you say you don't want too much of a workload as you hate studying - it doesn't matter about the workload of a particular subject. With any combination of subjects, if you want to do well, you'll have to work for it. The GCSE work ethic will not work at A-level.
Thanks for the reply. I know that i need to put the work in, sorry I sound like im complaining. I'm just a bit stuck. I'll choose Philosphy then if i dont enjoy it, I'll change it later.

I think I just need to step up my game a bit.

Thanks again
AmnaS4387
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Why just Bio or Philosophy? Take maths, it’ll complement your combination nicely. Biology has much more credits (it’s a facilitating subject), so honestly if you care about those stuff, go for that. There’s also Economics, History and Geography. Economics is thought to be decent credits, not very difficult and with a very manageable workload.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (256)
32.24%
The paper was reasonable (388)
48.87%
Not feeling great about that exam... (89)
11.21%
It was TERRIBLE (61)
7.68%

Watched Threads