Christchurch shootings: Brenton Tarrant appears in court

Watch
-Eirlys-
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-47590685

"The main suspect in the killings of 49 people in shootings at two mosques in New Zealand on Friday has appeared in court on a single murder charge.

Australian Brenton Tarrant, 28, was brought to the dock in a white prison shirt and handcuffs. Further charges are expected to be made against him.

PM Jacinda Ardern said Mr Tarrant had a firearms licence and owned five guns, adding: "Our gun laws will change."

Two others are in custody. None of those detained had a criminal record.
Mr Tarrant was described by Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison as an "extremist, right-wing, violent terrorist"."
username1539513
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
He should hang; straight up murdering 50 innocent people deserves death penalty

(Edited as it has come to light the victim toll has increased to 50)
Last edited by username1539513; 1 year ago
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think he’ll be found guilty father speedily.
CTLeafez
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Surprised he was taken alive. I would've thought he'd either commit suicide or charge the police and get shot in the process.

I'm 100% sure he'll be getting locked away for a VERY long time. The guy bloody filmed himself doing it; adds another level of sickness to the whole attack.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hope he has to share with some frustrated Maoris.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
I thought he said in his manifesto he wanted to be taken alive and he intends to plead not guilty.
He is using Breitvik as his role model.

He just wants publicity.

Cant say im that interested in what he has to say.
Last edited by 999tigger; 1 year ago
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by the bear)
hope he has to share with some frustrated Maoris.
People who are clamouring for the death penalty need to understand this: he killed 50 people. He can only be killed once. But he can 'drop the soap' an unlimited number of times.
-Eirlys-
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Spending the rest of his life rotting in a jail, likely being beaten by other Muslim prisoners would be a better option in my opinion. Death would be too kind.
(Original post by Andrew97)
I think he’ll be found guilty father speedily.
Yes, I should think so! They've got the video evidence too.
(Original post by CTLeafez)
Surprised he was taken alive. I would've thought he'd either commit suicide or charge the police and get shot in the process.

I'm 100% sure he'll be getting locked away for a VERY long time. The guy bloody filmed himself doing it; adds another level of sickness to the whole attack.
Me too, I thought they would've shot him. He'll be locked away for life, I'm sure.
TakeMeToHogwarts
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It’s so upsetting that someone could do this
I hope the innocent victims get the justice they deserve!
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
He just wants publicity.
He's certainly getting it. He also wanted to pit people against each other (right, left, Mulsims, Christians, whites, etc.) which also appears to be coming to fruition.
stoyfan
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
True, but there are many complications with death penalties.
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wonder what he's saying.
username521617
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You don't respond to death with more death. The fact we see the moral wrong of killing is what makes us better people.

Wishing death upon a monster is an understandable natural impulse, but it's not the right thing to do.
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Royal Oak)
Imagine having to be his lawyer
That's what I was thinking.
username4454836
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CTLeafez)

It was his plan to be taken alive and not to harm any police in the process.
Jebedee
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As much as I condemn this. It is truly fascinating when you compare the reaction to this event, to the reaction to the Bataclan massacre or Manchester bombing. What happened to just changing your fb profile pic and chanting "don't look back in anger"?

Sounds like everyone is a few years too late to be out for blood.
username1539513
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dandaman1)
You don't respond to death with more death. The fact we see the moral wrong of killing is what makes us better people.

Wishing death upon a monster is an understandable natural impulse, but it's not the right thing to do.
Who says it is not the right thing to do? We have ample evidence that the massacre was committed by this monster. The only appropriation punishment for people who murder others is death. It’s only fair
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
he should be stoned with stones
akbar0123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It seems that he has absolutely no remorse. He even did some sort of meme hand sign during the court appearance and was apparently smiling for a bit.
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Royal Oak)
Imagine having to be his lawyer
Will be proper awks if he doesn't plea guilty and the lawyer has to actually try and come up with an argument.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (58)
28.86%
No - I have already returned home (24)
11.94%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (46)
22.89%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (20)
9.95%
No - I live at home during term anyway (53)
26.37%

Watched Threads