LPC provider advice - Uni of Law or BPP? Masters or no masters?

Watch
jennii_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am due to start the LPC in September. Firms I am currently being interviewed for for training contracts don't offer LPC funding so I'm on my own on that one and anything I need to pay will have to be by way of future finance loan.

I am yet to firm my place on the course for either BPP or Uni of Law - I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of doing the LPC with these providers?

I know the LPC is hard going, but I'm just curious as to whether one is better than the other. How pressing was the work load? Spare time? Methods of assessment? Assessment feedback? Support? Would you recommend it?

I'm also planning to take the LPC with a masters in order to qualify for a post-grad loan. Is this good idea? A terrible one?

Current trainee's I have spoken to have told me they wish they'd done it with a masters because paying off their future finance loan is crippling them, but I was wondering if anyone else had any experience/opinions on it either way?

Any advice/opinions appreciated!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jennii_)
I am due to start the LPC in September. Firms I am currently being interviewed for for training contracts don't offer LPC funding so I'm on my own on that one and anything I need to pay will have to be by way of future finance loan.

I am yet to firm my place on the course for either BPP or Uni of Law - I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of doing the LPC with these providers?

I know the LPC is hard going, but I'm just curious as to whether one is better than the other. How pressing was the work load? Spare time? Methods of assessment? Assessment feedback? Support? Would you recommend it?

I'm also planning to take the LPC with a masters in order to qualify for a post-grad loan. Is this good idea? A terrible one?

Current trainee's I have spoken to have told me they wish they'd done it with a masters because paying off their future finance loan is crippling them, but I was wondering if anyone else had any experience/opinions on it either way?

Any advice/opinions appreciated!

Much of a muchness.

You need to do a pros and cons, but reputation wise they are the same or as good as. Just businesses selling a course.

Go to open days or see if they have any student societies. You might get a few students on here who have been.

Things to bear in mind.
Do an open day and look at facilities.

I believe UoL is open book.
I believe one of them is mostly video link lectures.
Look at careers service and support. If you get a TC then you wont need that.

You might consider London important or you might just want to live in a nice cheap area to focus on studying.

As for the other thing masters or not, do the LLM as its a marketing ploy to access the cheap postgraduate loan for the sake of writing an essay. Its only been open a few years anyway. U would deffo do LLM were I choosing.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
We can't advise you on the expense of the loan because we don't know what the interest on the career development loan is and what the projected earnings in your profession will be like. But if looking for PG funding from the government is more convenient for other reasons (e.g. your installments will only start having to be paid when you start earning above the £20-something-k threshold), you shouold go for the LLM option.

Keep in mind that you can only receive around £10.5k in PG study loans from the government, so you'll have to find a way to make up the shortfall.

Re: the universities... flip a coin or pick the one that is most easily commutable to
Last edited by J Papi; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (142)
15.81%
Uncertainty around my education (146)
16.26%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (86)
9.58%
Isolating with family (61)
6.79%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (33)
3.67%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (79)
8.8%
Loneliness (90)
10.02%
Financial worries (38)
4.23%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (81)
9.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (61)
6.79%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (81)
9.02%

Watched Threads