Anxiety away from home

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I’m thinking about going away for sixth form, like to another country, but I’m worried that I’ll get rlly anxious and have panic attacks and stuff whilst away from the people who know how to cope with it and I was wondering if anyone had anyone had any tips about how to cope with it? Xx
frenchbeanuk
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, Do you already experience panic attacks and anxiety or are you concerned that these will develop while you're away from home?

I would say it's natural to feel anxious when considering something new that would really push you out of your comfort zone. The benefits may well be huge, but only you can judge whether you feel your mental health is strong enough to consider this move at this stage in your life. If you'd be under 18 then colleges would have a duty of care towards their students and I imagine any decent establishment would have a strong pastoral department - especially if you will be boarding, so there would be staff who would be well equipped to support students with anxiety.

You could always consider (if you haven't already) having some counselling before you apply, to equip you with some new coping strategies.

If you feel you may not be able to cope at this stage, you could consider a gap year after 6th form, or going to uni abroad, which would give you a couple more years to build up your resilience and sense of ability to cope.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (276)
15.5%
Uncertainty around my education (279)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (177)
9.94%
Isolating with family (126)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.44%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (149)
8.37%
Loneliness (176)
9.88%
Financial worries (72)
4.04%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (163)
9.15%
Exposure to negative news/social media (126)
7.07%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (158)
8.87%

Watched Threads