The Student Room Group

Compelling reasons

Hi everyone just wondering if anyone could help me. In 2015 I competed a cert he. This then got me onto a four year degree in medical science. I passed the foundation but failed year 1. I have servere ocd and have been in hospital. Now this has all made me see how hard life can be and I just want to help others now. Would it
Be possible to get funding for a three year (maybe two if I could jump on the second year) degree in social work on the basis of compelling reasons. I have plenty of evidence. Thanks everyone
Hi there,

Can you confirm you have done 3 years previous study in total (cert of HE, foundation year, and year 1), and that you have compelling personal reasons for the year 1 study?

Thanks, Andy
Original post by Studyhard89
Hi everyone just wondering if anyone could help me. In 2015 I competed a cert he. This then got me onto a four year degree in medical science. I passed the foundation but failed year 1. I have servere ocd and have been in hospital. Now this has all made me see how hard life can be and I just want to help others now. Would it
Be possible to get funding for a three year (maybe two if I could jump on the second year) degree in social work on the basis of compelling reasons. I have plenty of evidence. Thanks everyone
Reply 2
Hi Andrew apologies I have o Ly just seem this. Yes that information is correct. Kieran
Original post by SFE Andrew
Hi there,

Can you confirm you have done 3 years previous study in total (cert of HE, foundation year, and year 1), and that you have compelling personal reasons for the year 1 study?

Thanks, Andy
Reply 3
Only just seen this*
Hi Andrew apologies I have o Ly just seem this. Yes that information is correct. Kieran

Hi,

All students have an extra year for transfer or repeat purposes as follows:

New Course Length (years) + Additional Year (awarded for possible repeats or transfers) Previous Study Years (including partial years) = Remaining Entitlement.

For a 3 year degree course this would be 3 + 1 3 = 1 year of funding.

The remaining entitlement only refers to tuition fees. You can still get Maintenance Loan, Supplementary Grants (if applicable) and Disabled Student Allowance (if applicable) regardless for all years.

We can give back funding years if you have Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR). You can read more about this process here - http://ow.ly/RqVS30oTRcg

Warm Regards, Dean.
Reply 5
Hi dean thanks so much your reply. So just to confirm I have one years of funding available but if I give evidence on the grounds of compelling reasons I can get the year I dropped out back? So technically I can have two years funding? The reason was due to mental health issues with a lot of evidence too.

Original post by SFE Dean
Hi,

All students have an extra year for transfer or repeat purposes as follows:

New Course Length (years) + Additional Year (awarded for possible repeats or transfers) Previous Study Years (including partial years) = Remaining Entitlement.

For a 3 year degree course this would be 3 + 1 3 = 1 year of funding.

The remaining entitlement only refers to tuition fees. You can still get Maintenance Loan, Supplementary Grants (if applicable) and Disabled Student Allowance (if applicable) regardless for all years.

We can give back funding years if you have Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR). You can read more about this process here - http://ow.ly/RqVS30oTRcg

Warm Regards, Dean.
Hi dean thanks so much your reply. So just to confirm I have one years of funding available but if I give evidence on the grounds of compelling reasons I can get the year I dropped out back? So technically I can have two years funding? The reason was due to mental health issues with a lot of evidence too.

Hi there,

That is correct.

Regards,
Nihad
Reply 7
Thank in all for your help. Doesn’t it also apply if I went to on uni in wales? Would they award me the year back there?
Thank in all for your help. Doesn’t it also apply if I went to on uni in wales? Would they award me the year back there?

Hi, regardless of where you've studied you can still apply for Compelling Personal Reasons. Regards, Aisha
Reply 9
Hi all. I have got a study year back under compelling reasons . However I am unable to study due to a serious problem. I have evidence for this. Would it be possible to drop out and get this year back under compelling reasons again? Also would I still be entitled to maintenance loans agian? Thank you
Hi all. I have got a study year back under compelling reasons . However I am unable to study due to a serious problem. I have evidence for this. Would it be possible to drop out and get this year back under compelling reasons again? Also would I still be entitled to maintenance loans agian? Thank you

Hi there,

If Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) are awarded, this is automatically awarded to the next available academic year. If you will not be studying in this academic year it can be applied to the next. There are no limits to the amount of times CPR can be considered. However, CPR can only be applied once per academic year. You can make multiple CPR claims as long as they relate to different academic years.

You will still be eligible to apply for a Maintenance Loan and any Supplementary Grants applicable to you.

Thanks, Amy
Thank you so much for your swift reply. another question. does one have to pay the funding back for a year dropped out due to compelling reasons? also if one has a total of 6 years of funding (9k tution and 8k maintence) ......at a complete rough estimate how much would the monthly payments be? thank you all so much .
Thank you so much for your swift reply. another question. does one have to pay the funding back for a year dropped out due to compelling reasons? also if one has a total of 6 years of funding (9k tution and 8k maintence) ......at a complete rough estimate how much would the monthly payments be? thank you all so much .

Hi there,

Any funding received would be need to be paid back once you're earning over the threshold. You can find more details on repayments here http://ow.ly/7tCm30q8Y37. Thanks, Claire
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

Any funding received would be need to be paid back once you're earning over the threshold. You can find more details on repayments here http://ow.ly/7tCm30q8Y37. Thanks, Claire

Hi thank you so much for your response you have all
Been fantastic. Last question. My health is deteriorating and I need to move back home but I don’t want to just drop out. Is it possible to transfer these second year psychology credits and get funded for the open university? I’m aware that the fees are much cheaper than a standard degree.thank you so much. Kieran
Hi thank you so much for your response you have all
Been fantastic. Last question. My health is deteriorating and I need to move back home but I don’t want to just drop out. Is it possible to transfer these second year psychology credits and get funded for the open university? I’m aware that the fees are much cheaper than a standard degree.thank you so much. Kieran

Hi there, you will need to speak to the Open University about transferring credits.

In regards to funding, if your previous study was full time and you never received a qualification then you should be eligible for up to 16 years of part time funding. The Open University is always classed as part time.
Thanks, Isaac.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending