Help me choose a degree Watch

hungrywhale21
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, current year 12 here studying French, English and History.

So far I’m currently undecided in what I want to do at uni, but I’ve narrowed it down to English and languages. But the thing is; while I could do both as a joint honours (English and French, for example) I’m not sure if I’d want to.

I’d really enjoy doing a dual honours in French and German as I love learning new languages and the culture side of it (currently learning Spanish during my AS year after not being able to speak a word of it this time last year and predicted a 9 as a GCSE) and I’ve also been doing an EPQ dissertation on the importance of languages post-16 which I’ve loved ! Plus, i enjoy the books we do at a level and writing about them (We do The Stranger by Camus and it’s really great analysing the different characters and what they’re symbolic of in society!)

But at the same time: English is a subject that I’ve grown to love. I never thought I would have taken it at a level but it was my best subject (my highest grade 9 marks wise) and I love all the critical theories you can apply to a text and how it reflects society and the historical context of the time. I’ve also been awarded lots of prizes for literature at my school and i can literally spend hours on end researching context, critical interpretations of a novel and I somehow enjoy writing novels for the different texts we study.

I’m not sure if taking both English and French will be a good compromise as I would love to learn a new language and a culture, especially st a regimented place like uni. Help?!
QHF
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by hungrywhale21)

So far I’m currently undecided in what I want to do at uni, but I’ve narrowed it down to English and languages. But the thing is; while I could do both as a joint honours (English and French, for example) I’m not sure if I’d want to.

I’d really enjoy doing a dual honours in French and German as I love learning new languages and the culture side of it (currently learning Spanish during my AS year after not being able to speak a word of it this time last year and predicted a 9 as a GCSE) and I’ve also been doing an EPQ dissertation on the importance of languages post-16 which I’ve loved ! Plus, i enjoy the books we do at a level and writing about them (We do The Stranger by Camus and it’s really great analysing the different characters and what they’re symbolic of in society!)

But at the same time: English is a subject that I’ve grown to love. I never thought I would have taken it at a level but it was my best subject (my highest grade 9 marks wise) and I love all the critical theories you can apply to a text and how it reflects society and the historical context of the time. I’ve also been awarded lots of prizes for literature at my school and i can literally spend hours on end researching context, critical interpretations of a novel and I somehow enjoy writing novels for the different texts we study.

I’m not sure if taking both English and French will be a good compromise as I would love to learn a new language and a culture, especially st a regimented place like uni. Help?!
English and French are more easily studied together than some subjects, because the literary-critical part of French studies is very close to the kinds of activities that occupy most work in English literature. As you might have picked up at A level, there's a significantly bigger gap in methodology between both subjects and History. From a pragmatic point of view, having a foreign language is a valuable skill, and also an increasingly rare skill in the British population. So I'm not sure I see why there would be strong reasons not to study both together, or French and German, or indeed just study French -- unless you have worries about the prospect which you didn't put into your original post? It sounds to me like what you have here is a choice between multiple good options, not a choice where only one option is right, and all the others will secretly ruin your life.
Benjamin McEvoy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by hungrywhale21)

Honestly, go with something that will benefit your life in the long-term.

English alone isn't that.

I took English Language and Literature at Oxford because it was my passion. But all I got was a really expensive reading list that DID NOT benefit my life.

People laugh when I tell them I studied English. It's a waste of time because you can pursue literature on your own.

Go for the French combo - the world will open up to you much more
OctoberRain7
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Have you thought about doing all three? You could do that if you went to Scotland.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Liverpool
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (289)
31.83%
The paper was reasonable (437)
48.13%
Not feeling great about that exam... (109)
12%
It was TERRIBLE (73)
8.04%

Watched Threads