Albert99
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey - have applied for student loan for university in September - live in Northern Ireland and will hopefully attend Uni here.
Based on parents income of £28000 they are saying I will get maintenance loan of £3300 and maintenance grant of £2000.
Why is this so low then the gov.uk calculator estimates I would get over £8000.
Thanks
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Was the gov.uk calculator you used for student finance England?

Funding is devolved so your entitlement depends on the country you live in.
Albert99
Rep:
?
Surely living and going to uni in Northern Ireland wouldn’t have that big a difference in amount of maintenance loan.
Yes used gov.uk
Is there any other reliable calculators?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Albert99)
Surely living and going to uni in Northern Ireland wouldn’t have that big a difference in amount of maintenance loan.
Yes used gov.uk
Is there any other reliable calculators?
I’m afraid it does. The NI government gives lower maintenance support to their residents than the English government does. English students studying in a NI university with the same household income would have a much larger loan (but no grant).

Table A5 here lists the amounts available to NI students (regardless of whether they study in NI, Wales, England or Scotland) https://www.studentfinanceni.co.uk/m...1920-final.doc
Albert99
Rep:
?
Thanks for quick replies.
Definitely makes it a struggle for low income families to Support their kids through uni !!
Jack22031994
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Definitely makes it a struggle for low income families to Support their kids through uni !!
You mean Middle income families, who are neither rich or poor. Lower income families get all sorts of support.

A housemate at uni whose parents lived on benefits, in real terms got around £12,000 (£8.000 from the govt. £2,000 bursary from uni AND £2,000 knocked off his uni accommodation), whereas my parents who have worked and paid tax all their life, resulted in me getting £4,500.
Cecelia Tallice
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Definitely, but loans for U.K based students seem to be the opposite. Low income families are heavily supported, leaving students with money to save. Whilst the more middle range families, such as my own get a loan similar to the one you will be receiving. Another thing that the student finance system don’t take into consideration is the fact that families might be supporting more than one child, they could be in debt and they might not be willing to fund university fees in any case.
I’ve just about scraped through 2 years of uni by working my butt off in both summers. But look at it this way at least we will be in less debt.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It’s worth checking with your university if they offer any additional bursary funding to people with household incomes like yours.
Jack22031994
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Cecelia Tallice)
might not be willing to fund university fees in any case.
Exactly!! There was a girl on my whose parents were millionaires, yet she had no support from them. She struggled to afford to eat at times, yet she got nothing from the government. I bought her lunch now and again just so I know she actually ate.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you ever want full support from student finance because your parents aren’t supporting you then get married to a fellow student. Both your financial entitlements will be calculated on your spouses income instead of your parents.
(Or have a child, support yourself financially for three years or break off all contact with your parents for over 12 months - weddings are cheaper though).
Cecelia Tallice
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jack22031994)
Exactly!! There was a girl on my whose parents were millionaires, yet she had no support from them. She struggled to afford to eat at times, yet she got nothing from the government. I bought her lunch now and again just so I know she actually ate.
Omg I’m the same, well my parents aren’t millionaires but I can’t afford to eat. Thank you for buying that person lunch, I’m sure it was appreciated.
Jack22031994
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Cecelia Tallice)
Omg I’m the same, well my parents aren’t millionaires but I can’t afford to eat. Thank you for buying that person lunch, I’m sure it was appreciated.

Yeah she did appreciate it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (158)
59.62%
I don't have everything I need (107)
40.38%

Watched Threads