- figured it out -
Last edited by Bastet304; 6 months ago
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Yasmine08)
Hello, I got conditional offers from Coventry, DMU, Portsmouth and Sussex (still waiting on Birmingham to answer me), for a postgraduate course : Banking and Finance MSc / Investment MSc. And I would highly appreciate your help in knowing which is the best Uni of them all. Esp when it comes to the quality of teaching and graduate prospects.
I already did some research when it comes to their ranking, and I found that it goes : Sussex, Birmingham, DMU, Portsmouth, and Coventry.
But then I read some students' reviews and I got lost all over again!
Please, please give me your inputs about who you think is best and why?? I'm so lost, and it's getting really frustrating :/.....
Thank you.
Moved to Finance, Economics, Business and Management (MBA & MSc) Postgraduate Study
De Montfort University
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hello, I got conditional offers from Coventry, DMU, Portsmouth and Sussex, for a postgraduate course : Banking and Finance MSc / Investment MSc. And I would highly appreciate your help in knowing which is the best Uni of them all. Esp when it comes to the quality of teaching and graduate prospects.
I already did some research when it comes to their ranking, and I found that it goes : Sussex, DMU, Portsmouth, and Coventry.
But then I read some students' reviews and I got lost all over again!
Please, please give me your inputs about who you think is best and why?? I'm so lost, and it's getting really frustrating :/.....

PS : DMU and Coventry would be my first 2 options because they're the ones I can afford, as well as Portsmouth. But I'm considering the first two as a first option. Please help me decide on which one you think is best and why ? Again regarding to what I stated above ^ (quality of teaching/professors + graduate prospects).

Thank you.
Hello :hello:

My name is Laura and I am a current student at De Montfort University, Leicester. Thank you so much for your question and congratulations on your conditional offer to come and study at DMU for Banking and Finance MSC/Investment MSc. I have some information below that might be able to help you...

In regards to the quality of teaching at DMU, the university has been awarded at TEF Gold standard. The TEF is 'The Teaching Excellence Framework' which is conducted by The Complete University Guide. A Gold standard in the TEF means that DMU "consistently deliver(s) outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for its students". In my personal experience, I have been very impressed by the quality of teaching at DMU and the engagement that lecturers and teaching staff have with students.

In regards to graduate prospects, 97.3% of DMU graduates are in work or further study six months after graduating. This is according to the Higher Education Statistics Authority (HESA) UK performance indicator for employment of leavers, which is based on the Destination of Leavers Higher Education survey. This 97.3% is above the national average of 94.6%. This means that DMU is in the top 20 universities for graduate employability (currently 17th). I have not graduated yet, but I have engaged with and received a lot of support from the careers and employability team at DMU, the #DMUworks scheme and Unitemps, our on-site employment agency, meaning that I have secured many internships/employment opportunities that will greatly improve my employability prospects once I graduate. This fantastic support is continually available to you once you graduate through the #DMUforlife scheme.

In regards to your course in particular, you will have the fantastic opportunity to study in DMU's historical Leicester Castle Business School, which has just undergone a £4.2 million refurbishment to offer an accessible learning environment that meets the needs of 21st century business.

I hope that this information is helpful for you. Do not hesitate to give me a shout should you need anything else.

Take care!

Laura
Bastet304
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Thank you for your reply! I ended up firming my offer with DMU, and I'm quite happy about it. I read that the uni offers students some part-time jobs, and I would like to get more information about it if you don't mind. As I will need to have some money on the side.
Thanks !
(Original post by De Montfort University)
Hello :hello:

My name is Laura and I am a current student at De Montfort University, Leicester. Thank you so much for your question and congratulations on your conditional offer to come and study at DMU for Banking and Finance MSC/Investment MSc. I have some information below that might be able to help you...

In regards to the quality of teaching at DMU, the university has been awarded at TEF Gold standard. The TEF is 'The Teaching Excellence Framework' which is conducted by The Complete University Guide. A Gold standard in the TEF means that DMU "consistently deliver(s) outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for its students". In my personal experience, I have been very impressed by the quality of teaching at DMU and the engagement that lecturers and teaching staff have with students.

In regards to graduate prospects, 97.3% of DMU graduates are in work or further study six months after graduating. This is according to the Higher Education Statistics Authority (HESA) UK performance indicator for employment of leavers, which is based on the Destination of Leavers Higher Education survey. This 97.3% is above the national average of 94.6%. This means that DMU is in the top 20 universities for graduate employability (currently 17th). I have not graduated yet, but I have engaged with and received a lot of support from the careers and employability team at DMU, the #DMUworks scheme and Unitemps, our on-site employment agency, meaning that I have secured many internships/employment opportunities that will greatly improve my employability prospects once I graduate. This fantastic support is continually available to you once you graduate through the #DMUforlife scheme.

In regards to your course in particular, you will have the fantastic opportunity to study in DMU's historical Leicester Castle Business School, which has just undergone a £4.2 million refurbishment to offer an accessible learning environment that meets the needs of 21st century business.

I hope that this information is helpful for you. Do not hesitate to give me a shout should you need anything else.

Take care!

Laura
Last edited by Bastet304; 6 months ago
De Montfort University
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Thank you for your reply! I ended up firming my offer with DMU, and I'm quite happy about it. I read that the uni offers students some part-time jobs, and I would like to get more information about it if you don't mind. As I will need to have some money on the side.
Thanks !
Hi Yasmine. Sure. Firstly, we are one of a select group of Universities who are part of Unitemps. Unitemps is a great way for students to find part-time work while they study. Most of the Unitemps jobs are based on the campus so you don't have to travel, and job roles vary from flexible hourly work, to a more fixed part-time contract. The University is big place so there are always different types of opportunities and roles available. One of the roles I'd recommend is applying to become a Student Ambassador when you are here. This allows you to conduct Campus Tours, Supporting University Experience/Interview days, Help at Open Days and during Clearing, Data entry, School presentations, Assisting at UCAS events and Higher Education Fairs, Taster days, all depending on your interest and availability. Also, as we are based in the city centre, we're in the middle of the main business, commercial, and retail hub of Leicester which should also offer plenty of part-time work opportunities at a walking distance from the University. I hope this is helpful. If you have any questions, just let us know.
De Montfort University
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hello again! :hello:

That is fantastic news that you have firmed your offer to study at DMU! We look forward to welcoming and seeing you in the new academic year

In regards to part-time employment alongside your studies, DMU has many options available to you to help you to find this. Personally, I have had 7 different part-time jobs with the university that I have done alongside my studies. I totally agree that it is massively helpful to have some money on the side to help you to get through your time at university or to put into savings. Getting part-time employment can also be really useful in helping you to gain and develop your skill-set which will positively impact on your graduate prospects.

DMU have a fantastic careers and employability team that can help you to find part-time work but can also provide you with support in areas such as (but not limited to!) strengthening your interview skills, building up your CV and tackling application forms for jobs once you graduate through face-to-face, telephone and e-guidance appointments, workshops and online materials (to name just a few!). #DMUworks is an exciting careers programme that is ran by this team that includes opportunities such as professional experiences, placements and internships, such as Frontrunners and Graduate Champions which are temporary positions with an emphasis on on-the-job training. These experiences/placements/internships are in an area that is relevant to your studies and one that you're interested in. The scheme also does work-readiness training, coaching and development too! I was selected to undertake two Frontrunners internships in De Montfort Students' Union over two consecutive years. These were 8-10 hours a week (arranged for when is convenient for you around your studies) and lasted for six months and helped me gain so many new skills such as research skills which massively helped me in my degree and also helped me to navigate my way around and become more literate in Microsoft Excel which is a skill that a lot of employers look for now!

If you have transferable qualifications then they can also be very useful in helping you to secure some part-time employment. For example, I have a swim teaching, a lifeguard and a full first aid at work qualification; all which have enabled me to get employment in each different area whilst at university. These jobs have all been very flexible and I can choose which hours I want to work.

Additionally, DMU has a Unitemps branch on campus. Unitemps is an employment agency that is a university owned temporary staffing service. It provides job opportunities on campus and with local commercial businesses for students and recent graduates. The majority of my jobs have been through this agency, including my role as a Student Ambassador. The hours are so flexible, you choose what you want/can and can't do and the pay is amazing! For every hour you work, you earn holiday pay which is a little added extra on top of your hourly rate which accumulates in a separate pot (essentially) for each job that you have and you can claim it when you like. This can be either every month on top of your wages or you can let it build up and claim it as a big lump sum (I tend to go for this option). It is a very useful extra fund to have.

The part-time employment options and support really are fantastic at DMU so I am sure you will be able to find something!

Give me a shout if you have any more questions - I am happy to help!

Take care :hello:

Laura
jpt4749
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Sussex outweighs others by significant distance.

Cross out 3 others as first as their reputation is immensely low not only in this subject but also for the overall prestige.

For Banking and Finance look at
LBS
Imperial
LSE
UCL
Warwick
KCL
CASS
Edinburgh
Bath
Durham
Bristol
Cranfield
Exeter
Nottingham
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
67.47%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
10.84%

Watched Threads