Second tragic love island death of Mike Thalassitis aged 26 Watch

yudothis
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Or is it just self selection bias?
(Original post by Wired_1800)
Yes, I agree and I havd seen the backlash from celebs about the show.

My question is why are Love Island celebrities different to other reality tv shows? Is it that the bosses selected people with weak mental health that resulted in issues when they became famous? Were they traumatised during a show about love?

There are many issues out there, but very few deaths, so i am really concerned and interested to know why many people seem to attack the Love Island production company.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by yudothis)
Or is it just self selection bias?
It could be.

A GP argued that it may be due to very weak personalities and poor mental health. Many of them tend to be self-absorbed and have a negative reaction when the limelight is taken from them.

This is not only Love Island, many other reality shows have had their share of suicides and depression. One woman from another show developed a dangerous eating disorder because she wanted to remain fit for other reality shows.

Finally, i think young people need to look beyond the “get rich quick” or “get famous quick” attitude. Some are willing to do really crazy things to get the fame. There is unhealthy focus on celebrities. There are more young women who know and want to be like Kim Kardashian than Madam Curie or Madam Okonjo-Iweala. There are more young men who want to be like Drake than Steve Jobs or Albert Einstein.
Last edited by Wired_1800; 4 weeks ago
yudothis
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I like your post. I think it is spot on.
(Original post by Wired_1800)
It could be.

A GP argued that it may be due to very weak personalities and poor mental health. Many of them tend to be self-absorbed and have a negative reaction when the limelight is taken from them.

This is not only Love Island, many other reality shows have had their share of suicides and depression. One woman from another show developed a dangerous eating disorder because she wanted to remain fit for other reality shows.

Finally, i think young people need to look beyond the “get rich quick” or “get famous quick” attitude. Some are willing to do really crazy things to get the fame. There is unhealthy focus on celebrities. There are more young women who know and want to be like Kim Kardashian than Madam Curie or Madam Okonjo-Iweala. There are more young men who want to be like Drake than Steve Jobs or Albert Einstein.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by yudothis)
I like your post. I think it is spot on.
Cheers!
Occitanie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What is Love Island, some kind of reality tv show?
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Occitanie)
What is Love Island, some kind of reality tv show?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love...015_TV_series)
-Eirlys-
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's such a shame to hear of such a young man losing his life. There should be more done to protect their mental well being after being on the show, for sure!

I've added a news link to your original post as it's required for this section of D&CA
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Tragic for those involved. But why should it be the role of a former employer to check up on your mental health after you leave?

Furthermore it’s not quite (in all cases) as simple as you broadcasted it so you pay for it. Take the GBBO for example, broadcast on channel 4 but produced by Love Productions? Who pays then?
i am sure many contestants on that Bakery Show get upset when their Chocolate and Beetroot Tray Bakes are mocked by the judges. they need support.
awkwardshortguy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Cecelia Tallice)
I said “second tragic love island death” meaning this is not the first death of a love island contestant.
You're not kidding anyone that you weren't under the impression the fellow in the thread title was a Timelord.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (453)
38%
No - but I will (89)
7.47%
No - I don't want to (83)
6.96%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (567)
47.57%

Watched Threads