The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Model Design at Hertfordshire University. What is it like?

Hi has anyone done or is doing the BA (Hons) Model Design (Model Effects) at Hertfordshire? Wondering what people think of the course, how much is taught and much are you expected to get on with it yourself and also what job prospects look like after?
ive just finished first year and loved it, theres the right balance between teaching and letting you get on w it imo, and helen (first year tutor) is the loveliest person ever
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
I am third year so just finishing. I have loved the course and feel like I've gotten a lot out of it, but I won't lie, they do leave you to your own devices a lot (especially in later years) and you often have to really push them to get the help you need. Depending on which pathway you choose you'll be taught different skills relevant to that pathway and it can sometimes be frustrating to feel like you don't know a certain skill that your friends are using, but if it's needed for your project the tutors are (almost) always willing to give you one-to-ones to help you out!

In terms of job prospects.... well I'm not in the best place to say right now as I've not finished but I'll tell you what I know of the year above. About 90% have worked or are working in their intended industry, including some people that I know of who have been very successful even in their first year out. Seeing as a lot of people are in the film industry which is quite volatile, I know that some people are out of work but that's the way it goes. All in all, I will say that hard work here won't let you down and the course is definitely a place where you can learn the skills you need to excel in industry. And despite
all that I've said about job prospects, they are far better than any other creative course I know of. You'll learn to make things you won't believe you were capable of whilst making a commercially viable career of it - what more could you want?

If you are close to London, we have a degree show in Hoxton on the 13th of June called New Blades, where about 120 students from various modelmaking courses (including ours and the main competitor at AUB) will be exhibiting final year work. Come down if you can and have a look at the work and have a chat with us and the tutors so you can find out more. Message me or just google "New Blades 2019" if you want to find out more.

Good luck with your search either way
Original post by Thealbinoskunk
I am third year so just finishing. I have loved the course and feel like I've gotten a lot out of it, but I won't lie, they do leave you to your own devices a lot (especially in later years) and you often have to really push them to get the help you need. Depending on which pathway you choose you'll be taught different skills relevant to that pathway and it can sometimes be frustrating to feel like you don't know a certain skill that your friends are using, but if it's needed for your project the tutors are (almost) always willing to give you one-to-ones to help you out!

In terms of job prospects.... well I'm not in the best place to say right now as I've not finished but I'll tell you what I know of the year above. About 90% have worked or are working in their intended industry, including some people that I know of who have been very successful even in their first year out. Seeing as a lot of people are in the film industry which is quite volatile, I know that some people are out of work but that's the way it goes. All in all, I will say that hard work here won't let you down and the course is definitely a place where you can learn the skills you need to excel in industry. And despite
all that I've said about job prospects, they are far better than any other creative course I know of. You'll learn to make things you won't believe you were capable of whilst making a commercially viable career of it - what more could you want?

If you are close to London, we have a degree show in Hoxton on the 13th of June called New Blades, where about 120 students from various modelmaking courses (including ours and the main competitor at AUB) will be exhibiting final year work. Come down if you can and have a look at the work and have a chat with us and the tutors so you can find out more. Message me or just google "New Blades 2019" if you want to find out more.

Good luck with your search either way

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending