International Student for medicine in the uk? Watch

JUSTSIMI31774
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
hey,
I will be applying for a MBBS degree for '20. So I will be giving my ukcat and bmat this year. But I have heard a lot of international high school boards are not accepted by colleges in the uk. I study in the CBSE board which is an Indian board outside of India. I really want to pursue medicine in the uk so if there is any way you could confirm that exams by the CBSE boards are accepted and if not what are the uni's shall I apply to where international students get in. I only want to pursue MBBS only,please let me know if there are any other entrance exams and if there is something imp I should be knowing.
junior.doctor
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You’re probably not going to get anyone who’s able to give you a definite answer to this question. There are some international students here who may have experience of applying with the same qualifications as you, but probably not many. Also, things change from year to year. You should look at each university’s entry requirements for international students and see if yours is listed, and if not, contact each university by email to ask them if they accept your qualification and at what grade. That way, you’ve definitely got it in writing, rather than relying on someone else who may be incorrect. There aren’t THAT many medical schools in the UK so it probably wouldn’t take that long. Best of luck.
JUSTSIMI31774
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Thank you for replying, Will definitely email universities that accept my board and get it in writing.
Also, is there any way you could help me out with what extracurriculars do they look out for in international students, I do have work experience in clinics and pharmacies but haven't had time to build on an extracurricular activity. Do they take that into consideration a lot or is it just to boost my application?

(Original post by junior.doctor)
You’re probably not going to get anyone who’s able to give you a definite answer to this question. There are some international students here who may have experience of applying with the same qualifications as you, but probably not many. Also, things change from year to year. You should look at each university’s entry requirements for international students and see if yours is listed, and if not, contact each university by email to ask them if they accept your qualification and at what grade. That way, you’ve definitely got it in writing, rather than relying on someone else who may be incorrect. There aren’t THAT many medical schools in the UK so it probably wouldn’t take that long. Best of luck.
junior.doctor
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
The point of extracurriculars is to demonstrate that you are a rounded person that has a variety of interests that aren’t just work, and that you have some of the skills and attributes desirable in a doctor - for example team sports can show teamworking, commitment to regular practice, etc.

I don’t think this would be any different for international students than for home students - it doesn’t matter what your interests and extracurriculars are, as long as you have some and could talk about them. You don’t have to be grade 8 piano and have climbed Everest.

Extracurriculars will form part of your personal statement, and different universities will consider this to different extents.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.75%
Excited (150)
8.98%
Worried (302)
18.07%
Terrified (374)
22.38%
Meh (154)
9.22%
Confused (37)
2.21%