Lancaster University or University of Kent for law Watch

puru1511
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
hey, I have received unconditional offers from both Lancaster and Kent and as the title suggests, I'm completely torn between the two.
o don't mind either of the locations, both of them seem perfect for me.
I am inclined towards keeping my subject of study as a priority as I'm already completely satisfied with everything else offered at both of the Universities.
Any sort of help would be much appreciated.
thanks
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Lancaster slightly better students, so that's a bonus.

Have a look at how each is assessed and which type of assessments you'd prefer -- I recall Kent uses some right doss assessments.
puru1511
Rep:
?
ahhh, what do you mean by "right doss assessments"?
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by puru1511)
easy

Edit: harrysbar may be able to help ^;^
Arisapo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I looked at Lancaster and it seemed like a good, up and coming university but the problem was I found it very isolated. The campus was standalone and miles away from anything else, if that’s a problem for you then I likely wouldn’t recommend.

Don’t know much about Kent but it’s a good university from what I’ve read.
puru1511
Rep:
?
ahh thank you, do you know someone who maybe is studying law at Lancaster?
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by puru1511)
Go on the website. Look at how the course is assessed. Find out what I mean.

Ain't in the business of spoon-feeding. I'd have entered the care sector if I were.
hardcoresoftie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hey, my ex studied at Lancaster so while this was years ago I'm familiar with the place (lived in Lancaster for years). I was at uni of Kent yesterday and it's always a treat to go there - I'm not studying there, I went to their Critical Law Society's yearly conference, which is really quite a neat event.
The Kent campus is about as isolated as the Lancaster one, I'd say (you can check distances on maps obviously), in terms of what it's like to walk into/from town and back and ease of access by bus (again this is based on when I was in Lancaster!). Lancashire has a lot of charm but as a foreigner I found the people pretty narrow minded. Rural Kent isn't that much better but Canterbury is a lot more used to seeing people from other places - students, tourists, business folks, anyone getting off the Eurostar etc). You'll have to not mind the constant masses of tourists in the town centre!
As a law student I would choose Kent - they have an amazing heritage in interdisciplinary approaches etc. and some great teachers. The campus is nicer than Lancaster in my opinion too (but I know it's been partly refurbed since I was last there so that's TBC). I think if you don't want to feel isolated, the proximity to London compared to Lancs would probably need to be taken into account. Rented accommodation in town is a bit of a can of worms it seems, so just be wary of that.
Ultimately choose based on the modules and approach that interest you and remember to do your research on teaching staff etc - reputations and league tables are volatile and whimsical things and you should go where you'll best be able to hone your talents and nourish your interests, imo! Kent are likely to suffer funding-wise with the impact of Brexit (reliance on EU student enrolment) but I'd wager that's also - less so though - the case at Lancaster. Hope this helps!
hardcoresoftie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
PS: no offence to people from Lancs or rural Kent - I'm simply stating my general experience from living in these areas and trying to be sociable! I've met amazing people from both of these regions, needless to say I hope
puru1511
Rep:
?
thank you, that's pretty helpful.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
easy

Edit: harrysbar may be able to help ^;^
Hmmm...well I didn't do Law at Kent so I can't comment on that.

History and Sociology was a bit doss which was fine by me
Catherine1973
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I looked st the optional modules for each of my top choices and which I’d pick. I preferred one unis choice of 3 you do in depth rather than 6 you do in less depth (but seemed pretty narrow and specific)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise