The Student Room Group

Year between GDL and BPTC

Hello all

I'm coming to the end of the GDL and looking to go to the Bar. However, I recently had a scholarship interview which didn't go as well as I'd hoped for (no results yet but am looking to start insurance planning as it were). I was fine on legal details but didn't come across as a particularly 'outstanding' candidate IMO. Without a scholarship, I cannot fund the BPTC. Is it frowned upon or even discouraged to take a year out between the GDL and the BPTC? Of course, the year would be spent getting further experience with minis and pro bono but would like to know what the general consensus is. Apologies if it's been asked before and cheers for any advice.
Hi,

I don't think it's frowned upon at all. I can only speak from a student perspective, so definitely don't take this as gospel, but I've always got the impression that chambers don't care at all what kind of route you take as long as you end up a capable/outstanding candidate. If you really can't fund the BPTC without help, I don't see why there'd be any problem with taking a year out to do some work and save up a bit for the next try - in fact, it seems quite pragmatic!

Just make sure you use this year to improve yourself as a candidate to ensure that you are successful the next time round. It still might be worth looking for some paid internships/roles just in case scholarships don't go your way next year, you never know.

Have you heard back about the interview now?
Original post by mcg0t
Hello all

I'm coming to the end of the GDL and looking to go to the Bar. However, I recently had a scholarship interview which didn't go as well as I'd hoped for (no results yet but am looking to start insurance planning as it were). I was fine on legal details but didn't come across as a particularly 'outstanding' candidate IMO. Without a scholarship, I cannot fund the BPTC. Is it frowned upon or even discouraged to take a year out between the GDL and the BPTC? Of course, the year would be spent getting further experience with minis and pro bono but would like to know what the general consensus is. Apologies if it's been asked before and cheers for any advice.
Reply 2
Thank you so much for the response!

I unfortunately was unsuccessful this year, less a feeling of disappointment as much as inevitability. I completely agree with all your advice, especially the part about chambers not caring about the route that's taken. Bizarrely, I'd heard that it was better to either take a gap year before doing the GDL + BPTC (which I did anyway) or after the GDL + BPTC but not between the two qualifications. Odd as I don't know many who've got that amount ready to cough up on tuition fees anyhow.

Thank you once again!
Original post by gdlbarrister
Hi,

I don't think it's frowned upon at all. I can only speak from a student perspective, so definitely don't take this as gospel, but I've always got the impression that chambers don't care at all what kind of route you take as long as you end up a capable/outstanding candidate. If you really can't fund the BPTC without help, I don't see why there'd be any problem with taking a year out to do some work and save up a bit for the next try - in fact, it seems quite pragmatic!

Just make sure you use this year to improve yourself as a candidate to ensure that you are successful the next time round. It still might be worth looking for some paid internships/roles just in case scholarships don't go your way next year, you never know.

Have you heard back about the interview now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending