The Student Room Group

English Studies (Notts.) vs. English Lit. (Northumbria)

For the purposes of furthering my career in teaching (English Lit.), I need to gain a degree in English.

I work full-time so my options are limited to online, distance learning. I am considering:

MA in English Studies @ Nottingham
MA in English Lit. @ Northumbria

My concern is that 'English Studies' may not seem sufficiently focused on literature from an employer's point of view, but also that Northumbria may carry less weight as an academic institution in the eyes of future employers (I teach in the private sector).

Any advice would be appreciated. I really don't know what to do!
Original post by StarsAreFire
For the purposes of furthering my career in teaching (English Lit.), I need to gain a degree in English.

I work full-time so my options are limited to online, distance learning. I am considering:

My concern is that 'English Studies' may not seem sufficiently focused on literature from an employer's point of view, but also that Northumbria may carry less weight as an academic institution in the eyes of future employers (I teach in the private sector).

You'll have to look at jobs and see what they require. I don't actually know of routes into teaching that need a masters in the subject but not a teaching qualification (do you have one?).
Original post by alleycat393
You'll have to look at jobs and see what they require. I don't actually know of routes into teaching that need a masters in the subject but not a teaching qualification (do you have one?).

Thanks for your reply. I do have a teaching qualification, yes.
Okay so firstly - think about why you actually want to do this MA. Using it to further a teaching career on its own isn't enough. You have to a) have a real passion for the subject, and b) be capable of studying it at Masters level. I don't know what your first degree was in, but it's something to consider. As an English teacher with some years' experience I can assure you that the content of an MA will for the most part hold little relevance to what you teach - at a push it can inform KS5 teaching, but you will probably be studying modules which for the most part will not come up at school. I'm doing mine for the pure enjoyment rather than for career advancement.

In terms of the two universities: have you looked on their websites and actually seen what they offer? I'm starting the Nottingham English Studies MA in September, and it is possible to only choose literature related modules. No one is forcing you to study English language. Do the example modules interest you? Do you look at them and think, I would love to study this? Go with the one that sounds right for you in terms of content. It worries me a little that you are thinking about this solely in relation to future employers and what they would think.
Original post by StarsAreFire

Original post by aliceinwoolfland
Okay so firstly - think about why you actually want to do this MA. Using it to further a teaching career on its own isn't enough. You have to a) have a real passion for the subject, and b) be capable of studying it at Masters level. I don't know what your first degree was in, but it's something to consider. As an English teacher with some years' experience I can assure you that the content of an MA will for the most part hold little relevance to what you teach - at a push it can inform KS5 teaching, but you will probably be studying modules which for the most part will not come up at school. I'm doing mine for the pure enjoyment rather than for career advancement.

In terms of the two universities: have you looked on their websites and actually seen what they offer? I'm starting the Nottingham English Studies MA in September, and it is possible to only choose literature related modules. No one is forcing you to study English language. Do the example modules interest you? Do you look at them and think, I would love to study this? Go with the one that sounds right for you in terms of content. It worries me a little that you are thinking about this solely in relation to future employers and what they would think.

That's really helpful - a lot of food for thought. Thank you for your reply. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending