(1)Quantum
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Name:  21c8b4e62805336faf3a9b7b280d1965.png
Views: 28
Size:  49.6 KB

I can do part a and i know how to find the gradient vector but im really confused about the rest. Any help would be appreciated.
mqb2766
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by (1)Quantum)
Name:  21c8b4e62805336faf3a9b7b280d1965.png
Views: 28
Size:  49.6 KB

I can do part a and i know how to find the gradient vector but im really confused about the rest. Any help would be appreciated.
b) part 2, you have two simultaneous equations in x and y, both equal to zero. What curve(s) solve these equations?

c) Similar to b) except that only the df/dy = 0.

d) Evaluation at P is straightforward? Then evaulate the (scalar) gradient along the slice at 45 degrees.
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by (1)Quantum)

For part (b), you're interested in the equations of curves in the x-y plane. This means z = f(x,y) = 0 is a requirement.

This is in addition to \nabla f = 0.

Don't have time to help with the rest at the moment, but (c) should be no trouble with the hint there!
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RDKGames)
For part (b), you're interested in the equations of curves in the x-y plane. This means z = f(x,y) = 0 is a requirement.

This is in addition to \nabla f = 0.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the question, but I don't see any need for the additional restriction, f(x,y)=0.

We're only interested in the solution to \nabla f=0 regardless of whether that solution is part of the level set f(x,y)=0. Are we not?
Last edited by ghostwalker; 1 year ago
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ghostwalker)
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the question, but I don't see any need for the additional restriction, f(x,y)=0.

We're only interested in the solution to \nabla f=0 regardless of whether that solution is part of the level set f(x,y)=0. Are we not?
From first glance, the question asks for curves in the x-y plane so to me it seemed natural to impose the z=0 condition.

But after having a further look into this question, it's clear to me that this going to prevent us from obtaining any solutions at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (64)
14.78%
I'm not sure (16)
3.7%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (146)
33.72%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.62%
I'm not a current university student (200)
46.19%

Watched Threads