The Student Room Group

Applying to nursing through clearing

Hi,
I've written a similar post before..
Basically I've applied for all arts courses and I've just had a complete change of heart. I now want to apply for mental health nursing or children's. I want to try and get onto a nursing course through clearing, I have my maths GCSE and I'm predicted to get about 108 UCAS points. I don't really know where to go from here. I've been thinking about contacting the unis I already have offers from asking them to consider me for nursing and giving them a revised personal statement. If I don't do this I would go through clearing with a new statement. Has anyone been in a similar position who could offer me any advice/ would I be able to get onto a nursing degree? Thanks :smile: (also I know a gap year is the obvious choice but I'd really rather not do this for personal reasons)
Original post by Ehaswell12
Hi,
I've written a similar post before..
Basically I've applied for all arts courses and I've just had a complete change of heart. I now want to apply for mental health nursing or children's. I want to try and get onto a nursing course through clearing, I have my maths GCSE and I'm predicted to get about 108 UCAS points. I don't really know where to go from here. I've been thinking about contacting the unis I already have offers from asking them to consider me for nursing and giving them a revised personal statement. If I don't do this I would go through clearing with a new statement. Has anyone been in a similar position who could offer me any advice/ would I be able to get onto a nursing degree? Thanks :smile: (also I know a gap year is the obvious choice but I'd really rather not do this for personal reasons)

There will be plenty of places and courses available.

You wont be able to get direct entry but what you should be looking for are courses with a foundation year. That will deal with the fact you dont have the correct subjects and in particular lack of a science subject. Finish he foundation year and you move onto the main degree.

The alternative is just to do an access course in one of the many health and social care courses.
Then apply for 2020.

Another thing to point out is that nursing can be a second degree so you can do a normal degree and still get funding for the nursing degree.

You cant do a nursing a degree and then any other degree after.

Not sure what you will do about experience, but a gap year isnt the end of the world as its important to make sure your change of mind and that nursing is exactly what you want.
Plenty of threads on TSR where people where people find it wasnt what they thought an drop out. Do the research and dont be in such a rush.
Reply 2
Thanks so much for your reply, that's really helpful :smile:
Original post by 999tigger
There will be plenty of places and courses available.

You wont be able to get direct entry but what you should be looking for are courses with a foundation year. That will deal with the fact you dont have the correct subjects and in particular lack of a science subject. Finish he foundation year and you move onto the main degree.

The alternative is just to do an access course in one of the many health and social care courses.
Then apply for 2020.

Another thing to point out is that nursing can be a second degree so you can do a normal degree and still get funding for the nursing degree.

You cant do a nursing a degree and then any other degree after.

Not sure what you will do about experience, but a gap year isnt the end of the world as its important to make sure your change of mind and that nursing is exactly what you want.
Plenty of threads on TSR where people where people find it wasnt what they thought an drop out. Do the research and dont be in such a rush.
Thanks so much for your reply, that's really helpful :smile:

My concern is that you are in so much of a rush that you miss the bigger picture i.e a way to save yourself £££ or to get onto the right course. I answer many threads where people havent thought it through and it turns into a mess. If it takes an extra year, then that will go in no time.
Reply 4
Yeah I see your point, I might end up going for the arts now. I have a lot more experience with it and ive wanted to do it for a lot longer. Both of my parents are nurses and they think I should do what I've applied for and get into nursing through support work and then try and get sponsored, if that's still what I want when I'm older.
Original post by 999tigger
My concern is that you are in so much of a rush that you miss the bigger picture i.e a way to save yourself £££ or to get onto the right course. I answer many threads where people havent thought it through and it turns into a mess. If it takes an extra year, then that will go in no time.
Yeah I see your point, I might end up going for the arts now. I have a lot more experience with it and ive wanted to do it for a lot longer. Both of my parents are nurses and they think I should do what I've applied for and get into nursing through support work and then try and get sponsored, if that's still what I want when I'm older.

Dont forget you can do a whole degree and then do nursing after, but you cant do a nursing degree and then arts after. It only works one way.
Get the best results you can and get into the best uni you can on a course that really interests you. Nursing will still be there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending