The Student Room Group

Deferring/withdrawing from my course...

Hi,

I am thinking of withdrawing completely or deferring from my course. I need to know how this will affect me Student Finance-wise.

I am in the middle of the academic year, studying my first year of a nursing degree, and I have received so far the tuition fee and maintenance loans from Student Finance.

However, I am thinking of deferring or withdrawing completely, so my questions are as follows:

Assuming that I completely withdraw from the degree, will this stop me from being able to borrow money from Student Finance in the future, when I reapply but in a different university? (In terms of extra information, the university have so far received at least one part of the tuition fee loan this year and I myself have received 2 maintenance loans so far this year).

Also, assuming that I withdraw completely from the degree, do I need to directly contact Student Finance to let them know that I have withdrawn, or does the university do that themselves? Or do I sit back and just let Student Finance continue to pay out money?

Sorry for the questions but I am genuinely ignorant when it comes to the way Student Finance works, I have no clue.

I'm almost certain I am going to withdraw completely from this university and then reapply in a few years' time, to a university closer to home.
For extra information, it is a BSc Hons in Mental Health Nursing.
Hi there,

If you withdraw form your course, your university should send us change of circumstances to notify us of your withdrawal date. Based on this date we will reassess your finance. It is likely that if you are drawing part way through a term that you will have an over payment of Maintenance Loan, we would send you a letter once reassessed to confirm the amount.

You would be able to apply for finance again after you've withdrawn form a course, however, the number of years you have studied will be reduced from your years entitled for a new course.

Thanks, Andy
Original post by caffycaffy44
Hi,

I am thinking of withdrawing completely or deferring from my course. I need to know how this will affect me Student Finance-wise.

I am in the middle of the academic year, studying my first year of a nursing degree, and I have received so far the tuition fee and maintenance loans from Student Finance.

However, I am thinking of deferring or withdrawing completely, so my questions are as follows:

Assuming that I completely withdraw from the degree, will this stop me from being able to borrow money from Student Finance in the future, when I reapply but in a different university? (In terms of extra information, the university have so far received at least one part of the tuition fee loan this year and I myself have received 2 maintenance loans so far this year).

Also, assuming that I withdraw completely from the degree, do I need to directly contact Student Finance to let them know that I have withdrawn, or does the university do that themselves? Or do I sit back and just let Student Finance continue to pay out money?

Sorry for the questions but I am genuinely ignorant when it comes to the way Student Finance works, I have no clue.

I'm almost certain I am going to withdraw completely from this university and then reapply in a few years' time, to a university closer to home.

Quick Reply