Why go to University?

Watch
Manuel Gonzales
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What are your top three reasons for wanting to go to University?
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The skills
The degree
The independence
-Eirlys-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Job opportunities
Interest in the topic
Skills
(Original post by Manuel Gonzales)
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My main reason was to get an eventual PhD.
Droplette
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As a requirement to get to my end goal
The social life, this includes learning environment as well
It's what everybody expects of me

I considered skills and interest but if it's just that, I think I'll look for an apprenticeship or try shadowing but apprenticeships as qualifications are hard to come by where I'm from especially in the career field I'm interested in.
username4515112
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
- learning about subject
- job prospects
- social life

in hindsight they weren't legit reasons really. could have learned about subject through apprenticeship and books. could have got good prospects thru an app also. could have gained a good social life joing clubs or during class room based training and work. for me legit reasons would be

- want to be a doctor

and i never did
JSM1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
The skills
The degree
The independence
The independence and skills is a facade.
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JSM1)
The independence and skills is a facade.
Maybe for you. But I've learned skills I wouldn't have if I didn't go, and I would never be this independent from my parents if I didn't go. Everyone has different experiences
JSM1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maybe for you. But I've learned skills I wouldn't have if I didn't go, and I would never be this independent from my parents if I didn't go. Everyone has different experiences
May I ask what skills and what made you independent from university?
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
-career, investing in your future (This was v important to me, lots of people now do bs degrees that don't offer this benefit)
-Independance, its kind of a stepping stone to starting your own life outside of your family
-The social life: Its enjoyable, learn new things, do things you'll never have an opportunity to do again
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JSM1)
May I ask what skills and what made you independent from university?
Just general life skills - managing my money better, confidence in my own abilities, time management, self-reliance (not having anyone to get me to places at certain times except myself), household skills, organisation is probably the biggest one - assignment deadlines etc.

As for independence, well, I don't rely on my parents for anything now. Before my dad would take me to places I hadn't been before, he would pay the bills and buy the food etc. Now I'm more aware about those things because I do them myself. I've had to figure things out because I didn't have my parents right there to do it for me e.g. how to get myself to a hospital an hour away for a scan. Normally my dad would have driven me, but that wasn't an option.

If I stayed home I wouldn't have a clue how to fix a washing machine, what to look out for when choosing a house to live in, how to budget my weekly food shop, how to navigate myself through a huge new city when I'm from a comparatively small town.

I'm guessing you're going to tell me how wrong I am and that I could develop all of these without going to uni? You're probably right. But if I waited until I got a decent paying job and moved out to learn them, I wouldn't learn them for years to come.
Tamimur
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Knowledge
Job opportunity/career
Independence
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't want to go. but if I had to pick some reasons:

freedom from parents (from their rules and presence)๐Ÿ˜‚
free laptop of my choice ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
free choice to attend whatever church I like.๐Ÿ˜Ž
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Leviathan1611)
I don't want to go. but if I had to pick some reasons:

freedom from parents (from their rules and presence)๐Ÿ˜‚
free laptop of my choice ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
free choice to attend whatever church I like.๐Ÿ˜Ž
what makes u think you'll get a free laptop, only degrees i know that come with a computer are PhD programs
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If I will ever go to University, I do this...

1.) To have a range of different possibilities to work after graduating.
2.) Get a profession I am interest in.
3.) Live my life in a way I would like. Although a final degree is not a guarantee, it might be a door opener.
blacksheep8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm considering a career in something and having a degree has made my life easier because I can now just go study a masters (1yr) to get qualified to work in that career.

In case you're still new to the world of education, you need a degree to do a masters.

Correction: You can do a masters in some instances with an equivalent to a degree. This might differ depending on the course you're interested in, but I've looked around and I have noticed that some courses say stuff about other types of qualifications. This might be dependent on years of experience in the field too, I was lead to infer with a few courses requirements.
Last edited by blacksheep8; 1 year ago
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mnot)
what makes u think you'll get a free laptop, only degrees i know that come with a computer are PhD programs
my parents will buy me a new laptop when I go to university.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The skills
The degree
The independence
A degree does not make you independent on someone, but the job. A degree is not a guarantee for a job, just a chance.
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
A degree does not make you independent on someone, but the job. A degree is not a guarantee for a job, just a chance.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by the degree doesn't make me independent on someone? When I said independence, I was referring to becoming independent from my parents.
iElvendork
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
1. Bish is gonna get to call herself a doctor (currently doing my PhD, I'm not weird)
2. Any career I would be interested in involves at least a BSc
3. Validation for in-depth learning
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (91)
52.3%
No, they should still go ahead (34)
19.54%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (49)
28.16%

Watched Threads