AS Subject Selection Watch

Blackguard
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I am about to start my AS and Im still confused about what subjects I should take. I took Math A, Math B, Economics, English, Accounting and Commerce for my IGCSE and managed to get A stars in Economics, English and Commerce, A in Maths A, B in Math B and Accounting. Im planning on taking the business/commerce path for my uni so initially, my subject choices for AS were Economics, Business Studies and Accounting. But after recent thoughts, Im not too keen on accounting as I don't to study accounting in the future (Stuff like Chartered Accountancy etc) and instead, am curious about Economics. I've done my research and found out that an Economics degree can keep your options open and thus, want to pursue a Bachelor's in Economics and maybe later get an MBA. I dont want to pursue a master's in Economics as that would take higher level mathematical skills which I dont have as Im not too good at maths. But I do know maths is a vital part of economics so this is where my confusion arises. Should I take S1 (Statistics) instead of accounting? Will that be a better choice regardless of my uni degree preference? And is S1 too hard for someone whos not too good at maths? I dont want to make a bad decision and regret it later so i am doing my research beforehand. I rly like jobs in the business management sector and being a diplomat, stuff like that. I know all this might seem confusing but Im happy to clarify anything you didnt understand here. I plan to take my AS in May 2020 or Oct/Nov 2019 session, whichever would favour my preparation.
emilybond:)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey, if you want to study Economics at uni for most uni's you will need A-level maths also most uni's will not accept both economics and business studies together as two separate levels because the course content is too similar so you should probably pick one - I started A-level maths and found it hard despite doing okay in maths at GSCE, therefore, I think if your not good at maths maybe pick business studies or do economics A-level but apply to study business studies at uni as that only requires a B in GCSE maths. Basically, for economics, you need maths and economics and business studies won't be accepted by most uni's as 2/3 of your a-levels. Are there any other subjects you could take?
(Original post by Blackguard)
I am about to start my AS and Im still confused about what subjects I should take. I took Math A, Math B, Economics, English, Accounting and Commerce for my IGCSE and managed to get A stars in Economics, English and Commerce, A in Maths A, B in Math B and Accounting. Im planning on taking the business/commerce path for my uni so initially, my subject choices for AS were Economics, Business Studies and Accounting. But after recent thoughts, Im not too keen on accounting as I don't to study accounting in the future (Stuff like Chartered Accountancy etc) and instead, am curious about Economics. I've done my research and found out that an Economics degree can keep your options open and thus, want to pursue a Bachelor's in Economics and maybe later get an MBA. I dont want to pursue a master's in Economics as that would take higher level mathematical skills which I dont have as Im not too good at maths. But I do know maths is a vital part of economics so this is where my confusion arises. Should I take S1 (Statistics) instead of accounting? Will that be a better choice regardless of my uni degree preference? And is S1 too hard for someone whos not too good at maths? I dont want to make a bad decision and regret it later so i am doing my research beforehand. I rly like jobs in the business management sector and being a diplomat, stuff like that. I know all this might seem confusing but Im happy to clarify anything you didnt understand here. I plan to take my AS in May 2020 or Oct/Nov 2019 session, whichever would favour my preparation.
Blackguard
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Oh damn I had no idea you cant take Business Studies and Economics together?? Idk what other subjects I could take or see myself taking. As I said, Im not too good at maths, so subjects such as Chem, Physics and what not are waaayyy out of my reach. I do like accounting but im scared that might not be right for me. Thing is, I like to keep my options open which you cant rly do with A Levels as it forces you to sort of "specialize" at a certain field. I recently changed my curriculum from IB so that 'keeping options open' thing stayed with me. What subjects are u taking btw
(Original post by emilybond:))
Hey, if you want to study Economics at uni for most uni's you will need A-level maths also most uni's will not accept both economics and business studies together as two separate levels because the course content is too similar so you should probably pick one - I started A-level maths and found it hard despite doing okay in maths at GSCE, therefore, I think if your not good at maths maybe pick business studies or do economics A-level but apply to study business studies at uni as that only requires a B in GCSE maths. Basically, for economics, you need maths and economics and business studies won't be accepted by most uni's as 2/3 of your a-levels. Are there any other subjects you could take?
emilybond:)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I do English Lit, German and Physics - I don't do maths and I don't find physics that bad at all it's just putting numbers into equations they give you. I agree that A-levels are hard in that regard of forcing you to specialize that's why I picked ones that are quite different to try and keep my options open - to keep them more open you could take an essay subject because of that's a requirement for lots of courses - accounting could also be good but its not going to be a requirement for any course so if your not sure you could always take it up later? Keep in mind that loads of graduate jobs don't need a specific degree, I want to work in finance or for the government in the foreign service but very few of those jobs require a specific degree except some for economics based jobs - so don't worry to much about what A-levels to pick - do the ones you like best except yeh I really wouldn't pick both business studies and economics unless you plan to do four levels because otherwise, you rule out a lot of uni's because they are more or less the same subject economics is just more statsticy-mathsey
(Original post by Blackguard)
Oh damn I had no idea you cant take Business Studies and Economics together?? Idk what other subjects I could take or see myself taking. As I said, Im not too good at maths, so subjects such as Chem, Physics and what not are waaayyy out of my reach. I do like accounting but im scared that might not be right for me. Thing is, I like to keep my options open which you cant rly do with A Levels as it forces you to sort of "specialize" at a certain field. I recently changed my curriculum from IB so that 'keeping options open' thing stayed with me. What subjects are u taking btw
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Guardian Offices, Kings Cross, London Postgraduate
    Mon, 2 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.45%
Excited (166)
9.39%
Worried (308)
17.43%
Terrified (389)
22.01%
Meh (184)
10.41%
Confused (39)
2.21%