Watch
This discussion is closed.
WhatIsLifeRn
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by alice.research)
Have you ever shoplifted? Do you know someone who does? What do you think motivates people to do so?

My name’s Alice and I work in a documentary development team for a UK broadcaster. I’m doing research into the phenomenon of shoplifting and want to understand more about its causes and consequences.

I’m hoping to speak to people who have shoplifted, people that know people that do or people that have had proximity to it, be that it any form.

This research has no malicious intention and any advice or information given would be in total confidence.

I’m especially interested to hear from females who shoplift.

Would be great if anyone could help!
There are many threads on here you can find where people talk about their shoplifting experiences and even people that got caught. I had a friend who shoplifted several times and I witnessed 2 girls shoplifting aswell. Half the time I don't even think it's lack of money that causes them to do it. I know many girls that have money but shoplift anyway. I think it's more the thrill than anything else.
Dylann
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A couple of years ago whilst walking to the checkout in Tesco I saw the packs of Extra chewing gum, picked up a pack and instinctively put it in my pocket. Went to pay and only realised on the way home what a criminal I was.

When I was about six I was at the natural history museum and I liked the look of one of the rubbers in the gift shop, I think I went to show my mum but probably got distracted on the way there. Mum ended up finding the rubber in my trousers back home.

Been on the run for that one for almost 16 years now.

Edit: A year later the same Tesco accidentally charged me twice for one bottle of hot sauce (which was about 4 times the cost of chewing gum), so technically they've stolen more from me.
Last edited by Dylann; 2 years ago
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I haven't, I would be too scared that I would get caught. I have some friends who used to do it for fun when we were teenagers though. None of them ever got caught, but they very easily could have done, to be honest. It's only by chance that they didn't.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Only from Hatton Garden...
-Eirlys-
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I never have. I care too much about how others will feel to steal something. I also work and earn my own money so I don't need to.
Last edited by -Eirlys-; 2 years ago
DerangedDRD
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I walked away from Tesco with a Microwave, not on purpose. I was on a phone a just kept walking around the store talking, talking ...and just walked away...
username1539513
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah I did it when I was 13, stole some chocolate coins. Did it for the thrill mostly
RetroMale2001
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No. I have been brought up correctly.
Aivicore
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Gonna be honest, I used to steal a lot as a teenager. My parents didn't have much money and whenever I needed something essential like a winter coat, I would go shoplifting (large franchises only).

In the last 5 years, the only time was a pair of glasses that I tried on and then accidentally walked out of the shop with them on my face. I felt so bad that I snuck them back in the next day.
Last edited by Aivicore; 2 years ago
username4169146
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by -Eirlys-)
I never have. I care too much about how others will feel to steal something.
Like who? Topshop, wh smith, Sainsburys? They are huge businesses who don't care who they stamp on.
Jamesman1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah by a scottiSc crackhead
s3enjackson
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by WhatIsLifeRn)
There are many threads on here you can find where people talk about their shoplifting experiences and even people that got caught. I had a friend who shoplifted several times and I witnessed 2 girls shoplifting aswell. Half the time I don't even think it's lack of money that causes them to do it. I know many girls that have money but shoplift anyway. I think it's more the thrill than anything elsen
No
Presslyyy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, I stole little Claire’s makeup powder when I was 8..,
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Report 1 month ago
No. The punishment for shoplifting is one of the few Islamic laws I agree with. There's no shoplifting in the UAE, Qatar, Saudi Arabia etc. in fact, crime is also virtually non-existent.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (33)
30%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.09%
No I am happy with my choice (60)
54.55%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise