ihatemyselflol
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I'm going into halls for my first academic year but i don't know where i'm going for second year yet.
I'm also looking at getting a job while i'm there so i can afford food as well as rent.

I planned on coming home for the summer but I don't know if any jobs would let me be away for that long, but also I don't know how I'd get a place to stay during the summer if I work through the summer.

Anyone who works while studying at uni, what have you done or are going to do about this?
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by ihatemyselflol)
I'm going into halls for my first academic year but i don't know where i'm going for second year yet.
I'm also looking at getting a job while i'm there so i can afford food as well as rent.

I planned on coming home for the summer but I don't know if any jobs would let me be away for that long, but also I don't know how I'd get a place to stay during the summer if I work through the summer.

Anyone who works while studying at uni, what have you done or are going to do about this?
There’s a few different options:

You could get a job that may not require you over summer. This is what I do - I work in an office on my uni campus and also work as a student ambassador, neither of which require me to be in over summer. However this does also mean you can’t earn over summer so may not be feasible dependent on how much you need the money.

You can get a job somewhere that allows you to transfer between your home and uni location. I know people who do this, so they’ll work in retail for example and then work at their uni location while they’re at uni and then transfer to a location near to their home during the holidays. This is something that you’d need to discuss with a potential employer as they may not all allow this.

The other thing to remember is that second year rents (if you go into private housing) are often a year long, so I found that my first year accommodation ended the day that my second year rent started, and the same in second/third year. This would enable you to stay at uni over summer to work. However, some rents may start later (I know some start in August) so the dates may not cross over, so you’d need to check dates.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (315)
65.76%
No (164)
34.24%

Watched Threads